Deaf chess champ Mallika Handa records 5th consecutive national win
She may not be able to hear the fans who cheer for her, but that does not stop Mallika Handa from making the winning moves on the chessboard.
Mallika is the only Indian girl to win a gold at an international chess event
Handa, who is deaf, has won the 20th National Championship for the Deaf, held recently in Madhya Pradesh. This makes it her fifth win in a row.
There is great pride in the achievement of this girl, who has created history as the first girl from India to win a gold medal in the International Deaf and Dumb Chess Championship held in August 2015.
Her mother says that such wins have made Handa stronger and dedicated to chess. She also has the unique distinction to be the only girl from Punjab to have represented the state nine times in a national championship.
Watch in Sign Language
- Para athletes see opportunities in Citi-International Paralympic Committee partnership
December 18, 2018
- Nothing stops this blind cricketer from batting for inclusion into IPL
December 17, 2018
- Exciting cricket at 1st triangular blind cricket series for girls
December 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology December 17, 2018 Microsoft introduces real-time captions, translations to Skype, PowerPoint
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Get-hooked December 18, 2018 How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Bhupesh Baghel is the new Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Badminton players Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap are married
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh may be announced today
- Headlines December 16, 2018 13 miners in Meghalaya feared dead, search operations on
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
- Parasports December 18, 2018 Para athletes see opportunities in Citi-International Paralympic Committee partnership
- Education December 18, 2018 Disabled students in West Bengal cheer move to reserve 5% seats in higher education
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports December 13, 2018
Parasports December 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018