Deaf chess champ Mallika Handa records 5th consecutive national win
January 4, 2018
She may not be able to hear the fans who cheer for her, but that does not stop Mallika Handa from making the winning moves on the chessboard.
Mallika is the only Indian girl to win a gold at an international chess event
Handa, who is deaf, has won the 20th National Championship for the Deaf, held recently in Madhya Pradesh. This makes it her fifth win in a row.
There is great pride in the achievement of this girl, who has created history as the first girl from India to win a gold medal in the International Deaf and Dumb Chess Championship held in August 2015.
Her mother says that such wins have made Handa stronger and dedicated to chess. She also has the unique distinction to be the only girl from Punjab to have represented the state nine times in a national championship.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Employment June 20, 2019 Karnataka's popular Mitti Cafe chain, manned entirely by disabled staff, set to expand to other cities
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Dhoni must keep playing, says ex Aussie cricketer
- Events June 20, 2019 Mental Health Session
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Parasports June 20, 2019 Sonakshi Sinha likely to play the part of Paralympian Deepa Malik
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Sustainable, eco-friendly vocational training for disabled adults, the Aarambh way
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News