Deaf chess champ Mallika Handa records 5th consecutive national win
She may not be able to hear the fans who cheer for her, but that does not stop Mallika Handa from making the winning moves on the chessboard.
Mallika is the only Indian girl to win a gold at an international chess event
Handa, who is deaf, has won the 20th National Championship for the Deaf, held recently in Madhya Pradesh. This makes it her fifth win in a row.
There is great pride in the achievement of this girl, who has created history as the first girl from India to win a gold medal in the International Deaf and Dumb Chess Championship held in August 2015.
Her mother says that such wins have made Handa stronger and dedicated to chess. She also has the unique distinction to be the only girl from Punjab to have represented the state nine times in a national championship.
Watch in Sign Language
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
- Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Events February 12, 2019 World Women's Day
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019