After much speculation, Indian blind cricket team leave for UAE for World Cup
January 7, 2018
The tension is over. The Indian blind cricket team will play in the World Cup. The team led by captain Ajay Reddy left for the United Arab Emirates to take part in the World Cup. This is after the team did not get permission to play in Pakistan, which is co-hosting the event.
Pakistan changed venue of India matches after permission denied by Indian government
India was scheduled to play arch-rivals Pakistan, who they beat in the 2014 Blind Cricket World Cup final, in Faisalabad on 8 January. But Pakistan has arranged for India's games to be played in Ajman and Sharjah because of the tense relations between the neighbours. Australia and the West Indies will also play their matches in the UAE due to security concerns.
The fifth edition of the tournament will end on 21 January
The Cricket Association for the Blind in India had to make the last-minute schedule change because the Indian government did not respond to its request for permission to go to Pakistan.
The Pakistan Blind Cricket Council (PBCC) said it was disappointed that the Indian government did not give the go-ahead for the event. India and Pakistan's senior cricket teams have not played a bilateral series since 2013 because of the tensions.
However Pakistan's blind cricket team travelled to India for the 2017 inaugural Twenty20 World Cup that was won by India.
India won the 50-over World Cup for the Blind in 2014 in Cape Town, beating Pakistan in the final.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
- Events March 20, 2019 Downs syndrome free assessment camp
- Get-hooked March 24, 2019 Understanding Ataxia
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
- Get-hooked March 22, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Parasports March 25, 2019 Sai Krishna, star athlete at Abu Dhabi Special Games, shattered after losing medal
- Events March 20, 2019 1st ODI National Zone Cricket Championship for Deaf
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Events March 19, 2019
Headlines March 19, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News