Bionic arm gives the feeling of touch
January 7, 2018
A woman was able to feel her arm after losing it 25 years ago in an accident.
This has been made possible by the scientists who have created a portable bionic hand.
The hand has been created with a technology that can imitate the sense of touch and the person gets the sensation of actually touching something.
The prosthetic hand has sensors that can detect whether an object is soft or hard.
The computer-processed information is relayed to the brain with the help of electrodes that are implanted in the upper arm.
The electrodes convert the sensor information into signals that can be understood by the brain.
When the bionic arm touches or holds something the brain gets the relevant signals and produces the sensation of touch.
The recipient of the arm Almerina Mascarello has said that she felt like it was her real arm and not a prosthetic.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Headlines April 24, 2019 Islamic State takes responsibility for Lanka blasts
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Disabled people in parts of Goa can look forward to wheelchair accessible transport on voting day
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Headlines April 23, 2019 Sri Lanka declares emergency, Islamist group identified
- Headlines April 23, 2019 Dhoni clocks highest ever IPL score
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News