A walk in Goa to raise awareness about developmental disabilities
Over 80 people will be participating in a walk organised by the NGO Ummeed in Goa to raise awareness about developmental disabilities.
Set up in 2001, the goal of Ummeed is to help children with developmental disabilities reach their full potential and be fully integrated in society. The NGO has a team of professional trainers who offer support and guidance to these children and their family members.
Only 1 developmental paediatrician for 500,000 children in India
The walk is not just about generating funds but also creating awareness about the over 52 million children in India with developmental disabilities. This includes a range of physical and mental disabilities, including Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, mental retardation, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and learning disabilities. Out of this, nearly seven lakh are in Mumbai alone but not even a quarter have access to quality care despite the city being India's financial capital.
Children with such disabilities are often not diagnosed correctly. Without proper diagnosis or awareness on the part of the family or larger society, they end up marginalised and become dependent on their families completely.
Walk aims to inform, educate about different types of disabilities
The first walk by Ummeed was held in 2012 with just three participants. Over the years, this has become the NGO’s flagship event for fund raising. Most of the walkers have been using the walk as an opportunity to reach out to their friends and family to donate funds for the NGOs.
In India, there are only a few organisations offering services to children with developmental disabilities, mainly due to lack of resources and ignorance.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Top world celebs at Isha Ambani’s pre-wedding festivities
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Intellectual Disability
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
- Education December 7, 2018 Tips to help children with dyscalculia
- Events December 13, 2018 6th India International Deaf film festival 2019
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Kamal Nath will be Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 What makes them Disability Heroes - World Disability Day Special
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News