What is Assistive Technology?
January 9, 2018
Assistive Technology is a term used for several different types of tools, devices, gadgets that are used for assistance and rehabilitation of people with disabilities.
These could be a simple device like handle bar in a toilet or something complex like a bionic arm.
The aim of Assistive Technology is to make the lives of disabled people less challenging and to assist them in their day to day life.
Some commonly used tools are
- Hearing aids for people with hearing impairments - Vehicle modifications, such as hand controls or wheelchair lifts - Devices that help with bathing and eating - Software for people with hearing and visual impairments - Equipment, such as grab bars, handles in a shower, to help prevent falls - Eye glasses and magnification devices to help individuals with low vision - Communication devices for people with speech impairments - Wheelchairs, walkers, tricycles
Choosing the right type of tools and devices can help make life better for people with disabilities and their families.
Innovations in of Assistive Technology makes inclusion possible while breaking barriers in the world.
With the aid of technology, disabled people can move around and be more independent.
They are able to travel and get employed and become financially secure.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Bus stops in Delhi to get audio facilities, says Delhi Transport Corporation
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 Strong links between diet & signs of autism, say experts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News