What is Assistive Technology?
January 9, 2018
Assistive Technology is a term used for several different types of tools, devices, gadgets that are used for assistance and rehabilitation of people with disabilities.
These could be a simple device like handle bar in a toilet or something complex like a bionic arm.
The aim of Assistive Technology is to make the lives of disabled people less challenging and to assist them in their day to day life.
Some commonly used tools are
- Hearing aids for people with hearing impairments - Vehicle modifications, such as hand controls or wheelchair lifts - Devices that help with bathing and eating - Software for people with hearing and visual impairments - Equipment, such as grab bars, handles in a shower, to help prevent falls - Eye glasses and magnification devices to help individuals with low vision - Communication devices for people with speech impairments - Wheelchairs, walkers, tricycles
Choosing the right type of tools and devices can help make life better for people with disabilities and their families.
Innovations in of Assistive Technology makes inclusion possible while breaking barriers in the world.
With the aid of technology, disabled people can move around and be more independent.
They are able to travel and get employed and become financially secure.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Sensor-based device Saarthi is enabling blind people to move about independently
June 27, 2019
- New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
June 24, 2019
- #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
June 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Narendra Modi celebrates yoga day at Ranchi
- Events June 26, 2019 Sign Language Workshop
- Education June 24, 2019 Inclusive Education - Challenges and Barriers - Guest column by Rukmini Krishnaswamy
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
- Events June 26, 2019 Music therapy for special needs children
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
- Events June 26, 2019 Morning of Fun
- Events June 26, 2019 Talk Tools Workshop
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Nippon Paint launches SAHYOG programme to empower youth with disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News