First ever Indian Sign Language Interpreter Retreat organised by Centum GRO
January 9, 2018
Centum GRO, which is an initiative of Centum Foundation, organised the first ever Indian Sign Language Interpreter Retreat. The theme was 'Enhancing and Strengthening Interpreting Skills in India'.
Four-day event was held from 4-7 January
The event was supported by ISLIA (Indian Signed Language Interpreters Association), ASLI (Association of Sign Language Interpreters) and Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre (ISLRTC). This first-of-its kind initiative was sponsored by Tech Mahindra Foundation, Enable Travel and OM Metals Infraprojects Limited.
The aim of the retreat was to highlight the improvements needed in the field of Interpreting for the deaf, while the workshop focused on the Ethics and Etiquettes of Sign Language Interpreting, Sign Language Structure, Interpreter Settings and Professionalisation of Interpreting.
The retreat was facilitated by two American experts who shared their expertise in the field of Sign Language Interpreting. There was also a panel discussion where deaf Indian leaders shared their experiences working with sign language interpreters.
India has approximately only 250 qualified Indian Sign Language (ISL) interpreters for a population of over one crore deaf and hard of hearing people. This is a large community and there is a need for quality interpreters.
Watch in Sign Language
- Karnataka's popular Mitti Cafe chain, manned entirely by disabled staff, set to expand to other cities
June 20, 2019
- SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
June 17, 2019
- Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
June 12, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 20, 2019 Mental Health Session
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 These school kids show all the potential of making it big in the world of art
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Encephalitis kills 108 people in Bihar
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Parasports June 19, 2019 Tamil Nadu set to rock the National Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Making a difference – Quick Tips for budding social entrepreneurs
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News