First ever Indian Sign Language Interpreter Retreat organised by Centum GRO
Centum GRO, which is an initiative of Centum Foundation, organised the first ever Indian Sign Language Interpreter Retreat. The theme was ‘Enhancing and Strengthening Interpreting Skills in India’.
Four-day event was held from 4-7 January
The event was supported by ISLIA (Indian Signed Language Interpreters Association), ASLI (Association of Sign Language Interpreters) and Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre (ISLRTC). This first-of-its kind initiative was sponsored by Tech Mahindra Foundation, Enable Travel and OM Metals Infraprojects Limited.
The aim of the retreat was to highlight the improvements needed in the field of Interpreting for the deaf, while the workshop focused on the Ethics and Etiquettes of Sign Language Interpreting, Sign Language Structure, Interpreter Settings and Professionalisation of Interpreting.
The retreat was facilitated by two American experts who shared their expertise in the field of Sign Language Interpreting. There was also a panel discussion where deaf Indian leaders shared their experiences working with sign language interpreters.
India has approximately only 250 qualified Indian Sign Language (ISL) interpreters for a population of over one crore deaf and hard of hearing people. This is a large community and there is a need for quality interpreters.
Watch in Sign Language
- Staff from schools for disabled kids protest against government apathy in Kerala
December 15, 2018
- Visual impairment is no barrier to a successful career. Here are some tips
December 12, 2018
- Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
December 11, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Diabetes-related eye diseases is the leading cause of blindness in India, says study
- Accessibility December 9, 2018 Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Why is Speech Therapy important? Some information
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 Stay healthy & fit in a wheelchair. Here's how
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Praangan is meeting educational needs of children with disorders
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Shaktikanta Das to succeed Urjit Patel as RBI governor
- Events December 9, 2018 Mumbai Memory Cafe
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Employment December 12, 2018 Visual impairment is no barrier to a successful career. Here are some tips
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News