Swayamvaraa, a matchmaking service exclusively for the speech & hearing impaired in India
For 17 years, the Swayamvaraa Trust has been running a match-making service only for speech and hearing impaired people in India. It is managed by C N Vijayraj, and at a recent event, over 4,000 couples found each other through a two-day annual gathering.
Those interested interact with each other on the first day of the event, get to know each other's personality and then choose who they want to be with.
Once they make up their minds about the person they want to marry, Vijayraj talks to the parents and organises the marriages the next day.
The idea came to Vijayraj when he was invited to a function organised by the Association of Hearing Disabled Citizens of Karnataka. There he came across the struggles faced by the speech and hearing impaired to find a life partner.
He sold his property and invested the money to set up Swayamvaraa. He says that every time a couple get married, he feels like his own children have come together.
The organisation has some simple rules for the brides, grooms and their families. No dowry is allowed and all marriages have to be registered with the sub-registrar. Anyone from across India can take part.
Registration and selection of couples for the 17th hearing impaired matrimony event will take place on 9 January and the marriages will be performed the next day. Wedding ceremonies are performed according to the religious traditions of the brides and grooms. The trust donates everything the newly wedded couple need to begin life together.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Events February 21, 2019 Course in Learning Disabilities from Samadhan Goyam
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Events February 20, 2019 Paintability!
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019