Swayamvaraa, a matchmaking service exclusively for the speech & hearing impaired in India
January 9, 2018
For 17 years, the Swayamvaraa Trust has been running a match-making service only for speech and hearing impaired people in India. It is managed by C N Vijayraj, and at a recent event, over 4,000 couples found each other through a two-day annual gathering.
Those interested interact with each other on the first day of the event, get to know each other's personality and then choose who they want to be with.
Once they make up their minds about the person they want to marry, Vijayraj talks to the parents and organises the marriages the next day.
The idea came to Vijayraj when he was invited to a function organised by the Association of Hearing Disabled Citizens of Karnataka. There he came across the struggles faced by the speech and hearing impaired to find a life partner.
He sold his property and invested the money to set up Swayamvaraa. He says that every time a couple get married, he feels like his own children have come together.
The organisation has some simple rules for the brides, grooms and their families. No dowry is allowed and all marriages have to be registered with the sub-registrar. Anyone from across India can take part.
Registration and selection of couples for the 17th hearing impaired matrimony event will take place on 9 January and the marriages will be performed the next day. Wedding ceremonies are performed according to the religious traditions of the brides and grooms. The trust donates everything the newly wedded couple need to begin life together.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Events June 12, 2019 Messengers on Cycles 2019: Cyclothon event
- Events June 11, 2019 Golden Eye Chef 2019
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Abilympics 2019 is an opportunity for disabled people to show their mettle
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News