Swayamvaraa, a matchmaking service exclusively for the speech & hearing impaired in India
For 17 years, the Swayamvaraa Trust has been running a match-making service only for speech and hearing impaired people in India. It is managed by C N Vijayraj, and at a recent event, over 4,000 couples found each other through a two-day annual gathering.
Those interested interact with each other on the first day of the event, get to know each other's personality and then choose who they want to be with.
Once they make up their minds about the person they want to marry, Vijayraj talks to the parents and organises the marriages the next day.
The idea came to Vijayraj when he was invited to a function organised by the Association of Hearing Disabled Citizens of Karnataka. There he came across the struggles faced by the speech and hearing impaired to find a life partner.
He sold his property and invested the money to set up Swayamvaraa. He says that every time a couple get married, he feels like his own children have come together.
The organisation has some simple rules for the brides, grooms and their families. No dowry is allowed and all marriages have to be registered with the sub-registrar. Anyone from across India can take part.
Registration and selection of couples for the 17th hearing impaired matrimony event will take place on 9 January and the marriages will be performed the next day. Wedding ceremonies are performed according to the religious traditions of the brides and grooms. The trust donates everything the newly wedded couple need to begin life together.
Watch in Sign Language
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
- 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
December 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Top world celebs at Isha Ambani’s pre-wedding festivities
- Accessibility December 9, 2018 Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
- Get-hooked December 16, 2018 Health Problems in children with Autism
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh may be announced today
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Badminton players Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap are married
- Headlines December 16, 2018 13 miners in Meghalaya feared dead, search operations on
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Deaf candidate Sudeep Shukla impresses in polls, shows the way to disabled political aspirants
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018