Official apathy forces blind student in Meghalaya to give up her dream of further education
The northeastern part of India is especially behind when to comes to education facilities for people with disabilities. This prevents many in this region from pursuing higher education.
Poor higher education facilities in North East India forces many to drop out
This has come to light once again in the case of Bertina Lyngdoh, who is the first blind student in Meghalaya to get a master’s degree in English from the North-Eastern Hill University (NEHU). She has been trying to enrol in a Ph.D program for over three years. But the indifference of the university and the government has forced this 27-year-old teacher to give up on her dream.
Lyngdoh says that she had trusted the NEHU to help her out but there was no response. She also says that she has many other friends facing the same situation. Some even dropped out of graduation but she persisted because she was determined to study.
North Eastern Hill University is a Central University
None of the colleges in Shillong and NEHU has Braille facilities. The NEHU says it has asked for amenities for disabled students, like the IITs and other central universities have made. The NEHU is also a central university and is entitled to the same.
Under PM Modi, many promises have been made for the disabled, but the ground reality remains different.
Watch in Sign Language
- Make classrooms friendly for children with ADHD
November 15, 2018
- Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
November 14, 2018
- MBBS entrance exam brochure makes no mention of modified rules for disabled candidates
November 2, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 16, 2018 Sexual assaults on disabled women to come under focus in Delhi convention
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer want wedding guests to donate to charity
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Prime Minister Modi launches projects over ₹2,400 crore in Varanasi
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 The Executive Age of children with ADHD, find out more
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Small touches that make love stronger when you date a deaf person
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
- Parasports November 19, 2018 Coach Jaspal Dhani on a mission to put India on the global map of wheelchair basketball
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 Inclusive ferry ride outing in Mumbai for visually impaired fun seekers
- Get-hooked November 19, 2018 Some driving tips for people with disabilities
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Supreme Court to hear review petitions for Sabarimala issue on 22 January
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News