1st Evoluer workshop sets the agenda for inclusive physical education
January 11, 2018
There was plenty of energy and heart evident at the recently held Evoluer workshop in Adapted Physical Education at the Lakshmibai National Institute of Physical Education.
7-day course in Adapted PE in Gwalior from 2-7 January 2018
Ninety-one participants from across India came forward for the first such workshop, which was the initiative of Shaloo Sharma and Sunil Bhatt. The participants were an interesting and varied mix of physical education teachers, coaches, occupational therapists, as well as students from other universities. Most of them had no experience in adapted physical education.
Evoluer is the brainchild of Sharma, who is an experienced educator with around 20 years of experience dedicated to special needs, while Bhatt is backed with over 10 years of experience working across mainstream and special schools in India and the United States.
"It was quite challenging to have a program that would keep nearly a 100 people engaged for seven full days. And we achieved that by keeping a good balance of theory as well as the physical aspect" - Shaloo Sharma, Founder, Evoluer
Among the highlights of the seven-day workshop, was when students from Amar Jyothi Charitable Trust spent an entire day. This is a voluntary organisation that offers rehabilitative services to the disabled through a mix of inclusive education, medical care, vocational training, child guidance and self-employment.
"The interesting thing about this workshop was that everyone was able to put into practice what they had learned over the day", says Bhatt. 'We were all able to connect and it was lighthearted. One of the big learnings was that there is a difference between winning and success".
The participation aside, the workshop also thew up some of the challenges that lie ahead. One of the main being to design activities in a way that the needs of the disabled are accommodated. The activities also need to keep in mind the variety of disabilities in one person.
As Sharma points out, it is easier to grasp the needs of the blind, deaf and on those on wheelchairs.
"When the disabilities are overlapping like say there are sensory and coordination issues, then it becomes more nuanced and difficult to design the activities" - Shaloo Sharma
The response was amazing and so was the feedback. The vice chancellor of the Lakshmibai National Institute of Physical Education has promised to raise the issue of adopting Adapted PE as part of the mainstream school curriculum.
"It is not rocket science and nor does it need any major technology", says Bhatt, who hopes for day when APE becomes a part of the mainstream physical education curriculum across India. "All it needs is a will, mind and heart".
Watch in Sign Language
- #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
August 19, 2019
- Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
August 19, 2019
- Para shuttler Pramod Bhagat's Arjuna Award glory marred by lack of recognition for head coach
August 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 15, 2019 Abhinandan Varthaman to get Vir Chakra on Independence Day
- Headlines August 17, 2019 No Indian soldiers killed by Pakistan, says Indian Army
- Events August 14, 2019 Deaf short film Festival 2019
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Kuldeep Devendra Rawal wants to be a change maker using the power of music
- Accessibility August 14, 2019 Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
- Events August 14, 2019 Touch For Health Level 1
- Headlines August 12, 2019 68 lives lost in Kerala floods
- Events August 14, 2019 Pop-up and Sign Language session
- Get-Hooked August 12, 2019 Challenge your disability to challenge people who think you can't make it in life - By Ephraim Ddiba
- Headlines August 16, 2019 From 29 October, women can travel for free on Delhi buses
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News