Bollywood movies based on disabilities
January 13, 2018
There are several Bollywood movies that have been made on disabilities. The movies have not only increased awareness about disabilities, but have also helped create inclusion to some level.
Now Director R Balki is planning a movie with Kangana Ranaut and Amitabh Bachchan. As per reports, Kangana will portray the role of an amputee in the movie. Big B Amitabh will be seen in the role of her mentor that helps her get the will to live with a disability.
Another upcoming movie 'Zero' starring Shah Rukh Khan will focus on dwarfism and the challenges faced by the people with it.
Hrithik Roshan and Yami Gautam starrer 'Kaabil' was much liked by critics and audience for its subtle portrayal of people with visual impairments. The movie highlighted the fact that blind people are capable of living their lives independently and are not dependent.
Actress Kalki Koechlin was seen as a teenager with cerebral palsy in 'Margarita With a Straw'. The film portrayed the life of a girl with CP and the challenges she faces.
Priyanka Chopra played the role of an autistic girl 'Jhilmil' in the film by Anurag Basu called 'Barfi'. The role was not minor and had a huge impact on the audience.
These movies and many others have broken the stereo type and shown disabled character as people that are inspired from real life and not completely imaginary. This has helped change the view of society towards disability.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Hi-tech hearing implants must be followed by rehab programmes say experts
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Disability rights activist Prajith Jaipal to hit the road to promote awareness
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 'Follow your heart, not your brain to find success' - Guest column by Neelu Jindal
- Get-hooked May 25, 2019 Urmi Foundation helps disabled kids from poor communities get access to education
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Experts claim music therapy helps enhance critical skills in children with autism
- Get-hooked May 25, 2019 Some tips for making travel comfortable when you have a child with Down syndrome
- Headlines May 24, 2019 Rahul concedes defeat, congratulates PM
- Parasports May 22, 2019 Para swimmers to battle sharks, icy waters in Catalina Channel, aim for Ocean Seven challenge
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News