Bollywood movies based on disabilities
January 13, 2018
There are several Bollywood movies that have been made on disabilities. The movies have not only increased awareness about disabilities, but have also helped create inclusion to some level.
Now Director R Balki is planning a movie with Kangana Ranaut and Amitabh Bachchan. As per reports, Kangana will portray the role of an amputee in the movie. Big B Amitabh will be seen in the role of her mentor that helps her get the will to live with a disability.
Another upcoming movie 'Zero' starring Shah Rukh Khan will focus on dwarfism and the challenges faced by the people with it.
Hrithik Roshan and Yami Gautam starrer 'Kaabil' was much liked by critics and audience for its subtle portrayal of people with visual impairments. The movie highlighted the fact that blind people are capable of living their lives independently and are not dependent.
Actress Kalki Koechlin was seen as a teenager with cerebral palsy in 'Margarita With a Straw'. The film portrayed the life of a girl with CP and the challenges she faces.
Priyanka Chopra played the role of an autistic girl 'Jhilmil' in the film by Anurag Basu called 'Barfi'. The role was not minor and had a huge impact on the audience.
These movies and many others have broken the stereo type and shown disabled character as people that are inspired from real life and not completely imaginary. This has helped change the view of society towards disability.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 22, 2019 National award winner, dancer & sportsman, all-rounder Akshay inspires youngsters
- Headlines March 24, 2019 BJP drops Shatrughan Sinha from candidate list
- Headlines March 24, 2019 PM Modi wishes Imran Khan on Pakistan’s National Day
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Disabled people share uncomfortable encounters on social media with hash tag #AbledsAreWeird
- Events March 20, 2019 Downs syndrome free assessment camp
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Parasports March 25, 2019 Sai Krishna, star athlete at Abu Dhabi Special Games, shattered after losing medal
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Best practice in early screening for deaf children in Mumbai - A study by The Stephen High School for the Deaf
- Headlines March 20, 2019 One CRPF jawan killed, six others injured in naxal attack
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 #WonderWoman - Ketna Mehta is giving people with disabilities wings to fly
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News