5-year-old boy with deformed hands creates prosthetic hands for other kids
January 15, 2018
Over a year ago, child genius Cameron Haight from the United States made news for creating a 3-D printed prosthetic hand that helped him regain some movement in his right hand. Cameron had a condition called amniotic band syndrome, which meant that some of the fingers on his right hand were fused together.
Cameron uses 3-D printing tech to help others like him
Soon he was able to help create similar 3D printed prosthetics for other disabled children. Now at the age of five, Cameron has created 44 prosthetics for kids in the U.S, Canada and Japan.
Cameron has been doing this with the help of his mother Sarah and the NGO e-NABLE, which initially provided a prosthetic hand to Cameron. When a few parts of that hand, which was themed around Nemo, broke off, Cameron and his mother decided to experiment with 3D printing technology. From creating replacement parts, they started to print full hands, assembling and sending these away to help other people.
The mother-son team have set up their own NGO to raise funds to make their project even larger in scale. Cameron continues to improve his own 3D printed prosthetic hand. He can now hold a pencil and write much more easily, as well as carry out a whole range of other tasks.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Virat apologises for booing Indian fans
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Events June 13, 2019 Read for Mental Health
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
- Headlines June 17, 2019 More deaths due to encephalitis in Bihar
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News