Deaf children face challenges in education in India
Children in villages and remote areas of the country that are hearing impaired have very less chance of getting quality education.
The education of deaf children has not received enough importance in the country so far, and that has caused a major lack of infrastructure and support to the cause.
As per data from India's National Association of the Deaf, there are around 18 million people in India with hearing impairments and that is almost 1 percent of the Indian population.
The numbers could be more as many times disabilities go unreported and do not become part of the census.
The use of sign language is also very rare and mostly ignored. The times are changing and ISL- Indian sign language is slowly getting recognition.
As per experts, Indian education is mostly based on oral skills and that conflicts with the education for children who cannot speak and hear.
This has become a cultural reason that hampers the growth in education sector for hearing impaired children in the country.
However, a change in attitude and mentality is gradually becoming apparent and ISL is being used in various parts of the country in a more prominent manner.
Various originations are also promoting it as a means for spreading the light of education among deaf children.
Support from parents and teachers can help deaf children learn sign language and learn the skill of communication.
Watch in Sign Language
- Make classrooms friendly for children with ADHD
November 15, 2018
- Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
November 14, 2018
- MBBS entrance exam brochure makes no mention of modified rules for disabled candidates
November 2, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 16, 2018 Deepika & Ranveer’s wedding pictures released
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Help your child with autism sleep better
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Sushmita Sen puts an end to marriage rumours on social media
- Parasports November 15, 2018 Mumbai to play host to second wheelchair basketball camp in November
- Headlines November 17, 2018 Protestors block activist Trupti Desai who was headed to Sabarimala
- Get-hooked November 16, 2018 Some tips to make learning fun for children with autism
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee dies at 95
- Events November 12, 2018 Inclov Social Spaces Mumbai - New Year Celebration
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 The Executive Age of children with ADHD, find out more
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Multiple Disabilities
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News