He lost a leg to cancer as a child yet went on to become a 3-time paralympian
Mark Barr was obsessed with sports as boy until he was diagnosed with bone cancer at the age of 14. The cancer was in his knee and spreading.
After a year of chemotherapy, doctors told Barr that if he wanted to survive, his right leg would have to be amputated. Barr was devastated until he met a nurse who was an amputee herself. She introduced him to the Paralympics.
When he is off training, Barr helps other amputees
He went on to not only beat his battle with cancer, but also become a three-time paralympian, competing in the Athens, Beijing, and Rio de Janeiro summer Olympics.
In 2018, Barr has set his sights on the Aramco Houston Half Marathon with Team Catapult, an American NGO that helps physically disabled people excel at endurance sports.
When he is not training, Barr inspires patients as a full-time trauma nurse. He says that he can never forget the bond he developed with the nurses who cared for him and wants to do the same for others.
Watch in Sign Language
- Prime Minister Modi meets India's Para Asian Games players
October 18, 2018
- India beat Sri Lanka to win T20 series
October 18, 2018
- Deepak Malik's century gives India lead against Sri Lanka in Blind Cricket Twenty20 series
October 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events October 17, 2018 Inclusive Dandiya Nite
- Headlines October 18, 2018 #MeToo impact: Union Minister M J Akbar resigns over complaints of sexual harassment
- Parasports October 18, 2018 Prime Minister Modi meets India's Para Asian Games players
- Education October 15, 2018 Relief for students with disabilities, CBSE exemptions to take effect from 2019
- Parasports October 17, 2018 India's para badminton players show their mettle in the Asian Para Games
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Congress loses majority in Goa as 2 MLAs join BJP
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 Supreme Court raps Haryana government for denying disabled students' MBBS admission
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 ALFAA centre for people with autism has a story of remarkable spirit behind it
- Parasports October 16, 2018 Aiming for gold in 2020 Paralympics, Asian Para Games gold medalist Ekta Bhyan tells Newz Hook
- Parasports October 15, 2018 Top sports brand Nike's move to sign up athlete with cerebral palsy hailed
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News