Telangana government includes cochlear implant surgery in health scheme for kids under 3 years
January 16, 2018
The number of cochlear implant surgeries are increasing in the state of Telangana due to congenital deafness.
This is due to consanguineous marriages, using over-the-counter medicines during pregnancy, stress, hypertension and lastly genetic disorders. But many parents are not aware of cochlear implant surgery and do not consult doctors, say experts.
To help them, the Telangana government has included the cochlear implant surgery in the Aarogyasri scheme for children below three years age. After doing the response audiometry (BERA) test, audiologists will perform implant surgery, if the hearing loss is total. The children will be given training in auditory-verbal therapy for six months before the surgery. After surgery, the children will be given training once again for a year.
Experts say that the success rate of cochlear implant surgeries was 98%. With regular antenatal check-ups, the problem can be detected at the foetus stage. Facilities to identify deafness among children have also been put in place in area hospitals.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 At this Chennai grocery shop, people with autism show their skills at customer service
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 United Kingdom government grants visa to blind Indian musicians, reverses earlier order
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Growing number of fake disability certification rackets highlight need for stricter checks & action
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Narendra Modi celebrates yoga day at Ranchi
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Rahul Gandhi criticised for mocking Dog Squad yoga picture
- Headlines June 22, 2019 India deploys warships in view of US-Iran conflict
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News