Despite winning 2 international level medals, disabled table tennis player decided to quit the game
International level table-tennis player Suvarna Raj, who has participated in the Asian Para Games 2014 in Korea and won two medals in Thailand Para Table Tennis Open 2013, has announced that she has decided to quit the game.
Raj, who has polio, made news in June 2017 when she was forced to sleep on the floor of a long-distance train after railway officials and co-passengers refused to give her a lower berth in exchange for the upper berth she had been allotted. Raj says that despite winning a national youth award in 2014, she is unable to earn a living.
35-year-old Raj was struck by polio when she was two years old and says that with no national-level competition for table-tennis held since 2012, players have run out of money. She has decided to shift to some other game.
Raj could play the Thailand Open only after taking a bank loan, a loan that she is still recovering from given the heavy interest she had to pay.
Despite getting two international level medals, Raj has found it hard to retain her spot as there has been no national-level table tennis event.
Watch in Sign Language
- Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
February 16, 2019
- First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
February 15, 2019
- Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
February 13, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 9, 2019 Akash Ambani and Shloka Mehta to tie the knot on 9 March
- Events February 10, 2019 Cerebral Palsy at Bhopal and Varanasi 2019
- Headlines February 13, 2019 17 people killed in fire that broke out at Delhi hotel
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Headlines February 10, 2019 Arun Jaitley back in India after treatment
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019