This blind triathlete is inspiring others to aim for gold
When Amy Dixon went into depression after losing her vision five years ago, she pulled herself out of it by going for her first triathlon. Dixon lost 98% of her vision to a rare autoimmune disorder in her 20s and 30s.
Today this accomplished 42-year-old paratriathlete wants to give back to the sport that saved her life. She has started hosting a camp called Camp No Sight No Limits, a four-day skills camp for blind triathletes from around the United States.
Thirteen athletes from places like New York and Florida are taking part this week in workouts, drills and lectures at the Chula Vista Elite Athlete Training Center. There are hundreds of triathlon training camps in the United States but only one that caters to blind athletes. Dixon, who ranked No. 5 in the world in her paratriathlon division, says her camp offers empathy. She says that she has a unique perspective of the challenges blind athletes face when they compete.
Swimming, cycling and running coaches and sighted guides from around the country are volunteering their time at the camp, which has been largely backed by sponsors. Dixon’s camp offers practical skills that the athletes, and their guides, can use to plan, organise and solve the problems that blind athletes encounter in the racing world.
Blind triathletes travel the race course with a guide, who swims 750 meters and runs 5 kilometers beside them and also takes the front seat of a tandem bicycle for a 20-kilometer ride. The guides are able to help the blind athletes during the challenging periods of transitioning from wetsuit to running gear. The guide’s job also involves warning the athlete of obstacles, turns and difficult terrain.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 7, 2018 Section 144 extended in Sabarimala till 8 December
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Praangan is meeting educational needs of children with disorders
- Technology December 10, 2018 Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
- Events December 11, 2018 Forging the Assistive Technology value chain
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Resolving 26/11 Mumbai attacks is in Pakistan's interest, says Imran Khan
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Wedding preparations of Mukesh Ambani's daughter begin
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News