Arizona is 1st American state to make legislative meetings accessible to the deaf
January 20, 2018
Arizona in the southern part of United States has made history. There are over one million here who are deaf and for them the state legislature, which is the equivalent of our Vidhan Sabha, has become a more inclusive place.
Making inclusiveness essential to democracy
When the legislature convened last week, it rolled out a new live-captioning service that was available for all committee and floor meetings in either chamber. This is the first state in the country to offer such a service for all its meetings, thereby making the lawmaking process more transparent and accessible.
The deaf can now fully take part in the process and they know what is going on. The service, which must be requested via the legislature's website at least 24 hours in advance, allows users to see a live text feed on their mobile device or computer.
Apart from this, the legislature offers a looping technology that directly broadcasts amplified sound to hearing aids and cochlear implants. People with hearing aids can access it by pushing a button on their device.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Court order paves way for woman without fingerprints to get Aadhaar card
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News