Arizona is 1st American state to make legislative meetings accessible to the deaf
January 20, 2018
Arizona in the southern part of United States has made history. There are over one million here who are deaf and for them the state legislature, which is the equivalent of our Vidhan Sabha, has become a more inclusive place.
Making inclusiveness essential to democracy
When the legislature convened last week, it rolled out a new live-captioning service that was available for all committee and floor meetings in either chamber. This is the first state in the country to offer such a service for all its meetings, thereby making the lawmaking process more transparent and accessible.
The deaf can now fully take part in the process and they know what is going on. The service, which must be requested via the legislature's website at least 24 hours in advance, allows users to see a live text feed on their mobile device or computer.
Apart from this, the legislature offers a looping technology that directly broadcasts amplified sound to hearing aids and cochlear implants. People with hearing aids can access it by pushing a button on their device.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 11, 2019 25th World Cardiology Conference
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Events June 11, 2019 From the ‘Whys’ to the ‘Hows’
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Events June 11, 2019 Maximising Progress in Autism
- Headlines June 14, 2019 PM Modi tells ministers to get to work on time
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News