Arizona is 1st American state to make legislative meetings accessible to the deaf
Arizona in the southern part of United States has made history. There are over one million here who are deaf and for them the state legislature, which is the equivalent of our Vidhan Sabha, has become a more inclusive place.
Making inclusiveness essential to democracy
When the legislature convened last week, it rolled out a new live-captioning service that was available for all committee and floor meetings in either chamber. This is the first state in the country to offer such a service for all its meetings, thereby making the lawmaking process more transparent and accessible.
The deaf can now fully take part in the process and they know what is going on. The service, which must be requested via the legislature's website at least 24 hours in advance, allows users to see a live text feed on their mobile device or computer.
Apart from this, the legislature offers a looping technology that directly broadcasts amplified sound to hearing aids and cochlear implants. People with hearing aids can access it by pushing a button on their device.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Get-hooked February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News