Jormal Periwal Memorial Senior Secondary School for the Blind are national kabaddi champs!
January 23, 2018
To the loud cheers of 'JPM, JPM', the team from Jormal Periwal Memorial Senior Secondary School for the Blind, outclassed rivals, Vocational Training Centre, to win the Kabaddi Championships title.
Event held as part of 6-day Usha Sports Championships for the Blind
JPM is one the top schools in India for the blind, that puts special emphasis on both sports and education.That showed in the kabaddi finals of the six-day Usha Sports Championships for the Blind that saw 540 sportspersons competing in powerlifting, judo and kabaddi. JPM beat VTC 104-26 to win the Kabaddi Championships title.
JPM students said that they trained on the mat for the last five months, which gave them the edge. VTC, on the other hand, trained for just a week on the surface. They mostly play on mud courts so they had little practice.
This was the first time that the event was being held on mats. Tram lines were made of taped rope so that the players could know the boundaries. This was also the first time that the teams were given shoes to play on mat. For those used to playing in the mud, this was a little hard to adjust.
Players were classified according to their level of disability
B-1 players are those who have no light perception in either eye or those who have light perception but are unable to recognise the shape of the hand over a distance or in any direction. B-2 consists of players with partial vision. B-1 players with some light perception were put in blindfolds. The teams were made up of seven B-1 and five B-2 players. The playing seven had to include four B-1 and three B-2.
The players are hoping for a Asian kabaddi tournament sometime in the near future. International There are lans to hold an Asian event that may see participation from Pakistan, Sri Lanka and other Asian teams.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Imran Khan trolled after he quotes Tagore as Gibran
- Employment June 27, 2019 Diya Innovations opens doors of opportunities for adults with disabilities
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Events June 20, 2019 With This Ability - Comedy and Conversation with Sweta Mantrii
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Encephalitis deaths rise across Bihar, M.P under alert
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Nippon Paint launches SAHYOG programme to empower youth with disabilities
- Technology June 24, 2019 New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Growing number of fake disability certification rackets highlight need for stricter checks & action
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Zakker Hussain’s relentless commitment to social work is admired by many people
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 United Kingdom government grants visa to blind Indian musicians, reverses earlier order
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News