Jormal Periwal Memorial Senior Secondary School for the Blind are national kabaddi champs!
To the loud cheers of ‘JPM, JPM’, the team from Jormal Periwal Memorial Senior Secondary School for the Blind, outclassed rivals, Vocational Training Centre, to win the Kabaddi Championships title.
Event held as part of 6-day Usha Sports Championships for the Blind
JPM is one the top schools in India for the blind, that puts special emphasis on both sports and education.That showed in the kabaddi finals of the six-day Usha Sports Championships for the Blind that saw 540 sportspersons competing in powerlifting, judo and kabaddi. JPM beat VTC 104-26 to win the Kabaddi Championships title.
JPM students said that they trained on the mat for the last five months, which gave them the edge. VTC, on the other hand, trained for just a week on the surface. They mostly play on mud courts so they had little practice.
This was the first time that the event was being held on mats. Tram lines were made of taped rope so that the players could know the boundaries. This was also the first time that the teams were given shoes to play on mat. For those used to playing in the mud, this was a little hard to adjust.
Players were classified according to their level of disability
B-1 players are those who have no light perception in either eye or those who have light perception but are unable to recognise the shape of the hand over a distance or in any direction. B-2 consists of players with partial vision. B-1 players with some light perception were put in blindfolds. The teams were made up of seven B-1 and five B-2 players. The playing seven had to include four B-1 and three B-2.
The players are hoping for a Asian kabaddi tournament sometime in the near future. International There are lans to hold an Asian event that may see participation from Pakistan, Sri Lanka and other Asian teams.
Watch in Sign Language
- Some ways to help kids with autism prepare for exams
October 20, 2018
- Proposal to start sign language exams needs a reality check, say experts
October 18, 2018
- Some tips to make classrooms inclusive for children with cerebral palsy
October 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 16, 2018 Over 70 cases of Zika virus reported in Rajasthan
- Events October 17, 2018 NAB Presents Interactive Meeting with a Global Leader in Accessibility
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 High time to bid goodbye to idioms that mock the disabled community
- Accessibility October 16, 2018 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Technology October 20, 2018 Microsoft pledge to develop EdTech for dyslexic students has great potential for India
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Animal lovers protest against decision to shoot down tigress Avni
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 An open letter to Goa Governor, Mridula Sinha - My Take by Monika Kshatriya
- Parasports October 22, 2018 Mandvi Garg battled depression, vision loss to come back as a champion trekker
- Events October 22, 2018 Sixth National Conference on Inclusive Education
- Get-hooked October 19, 2018 This Bengaluru NGO looks to nature to improve the wellbeing of disabled kids
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Education October 20, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News