Blind Facebook employee is developing tech that help vision impaired use the site
January 23, 2018
Matt King is a blind Facebook employee who is developing a technology that will use Artificial Intelligence to put into words the content of an image or video. This will enable the blind to determine appropriate content for people and advertisers.
King was born with a degenerative eye disease called retinitis pigmentosa, and lost his vision by the time he got his degree and started working at IBM on its accessibility projects. He worked on a screen reader to help the blind figure out what was on their screens either through audio cues or a braille device. IBM eventually developed the first screen reader for a graphical interface.
At Facebook, he works on features to help the disabled use the platform, like adding captions to videos or coming up with ways to navigate the site using only audio cues. One of his main projects is automated alt-text which describes audibly what is in Facebook images. Today it is available in over 29 languages on Facebook on the web, iOS and Android.
In December 2017, Facebook pushed an automatic alt-text update that used facial recognition to help visually impaired people find out who is in photos.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 CRPF jawan & Pulwama attack survivor feeds disabled boy in Kashmir, wins hearts
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Disability rights activist Prajith Jaipal to hit the road to promote awareness
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 These friends banded together in the aftermath of the Kerala floods to help people with disabilities
- Technology May 23, 2019 #TechThursdays - Augmenta11y, an app developed by students, helps children with dyslexia read better
- Headlines May 25, 2019 Video of candidate crying over 5 votes goes viral
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Seventh & final phase of voting in general elections today
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News