Blind Facebook employee is developing tech that help vision impaired use the site
Matt King is a blind Facebook employee who is developing a technology that will use Artificial Intelligence to put into words the content of an image or video. This will enable the blind to determine appropriate content for people and advertisers.
King was born with a degenerative eye disease called retinitis pigmentosa, and lost his vision by the time he got his degree and started working at IBM on its accessibility projects. He worked on a screen reader to help the blind figure out what was on their screens either through audio cues or a braille device. IBM eventually developed the first screen reader for a graphical interface.
At Facebook, he works on features to help the disabled use the platform, like adding captions to videos or coming up with ways to navigate the site using only audio cues. One of his main projects is automated alt-text which describes audibly what is in Facebook images. Today it is available in over 29 languages on Facebook on the web, iOS and Android.
In December 2017, Facebook pushed an automatic alt-text update that used facial recognition to help visually impaired people find out who is in photos.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Small touches that make love stronger when you date a deaf person
- Get-hooked November 10, 2018 Abhaya Care Foundation lends a helping hand to children with disabilities
- Get-hooked November 8, 2018 The story behind India's 1st inclusive expedition to Kilimanjaro
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
- Technology November 12, 2018 Manovue glove opens doors to visually impaired people who do not know Braille
- Employment November 9, 2018 Career options for people with learning disabilities
- Headlines November 10, 2018 India & Taliban hold talks on non-official level in Moscow
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018