Blind Facebook employee is developing tech that help vision impaired use the site
Matt King is a blind Facebook employee who is developing a technology that will use Artificial Intelligence to put into words the content of an image or video. This will enable the blind to determine appropriate content for people and advertisers.
King was born with a degenerative eye disease called retinitis pigmentosa, and lost his vision by the time he got his degree and started working at IBM on its accessibility projects. He worked on a screen reader to help the blind figure out what was on their screens either through audio cues or a braille device. IBM eventually developed the first screen reader for a graphical interface.
At Facebook, he works on features to help the disabled use the platform, like adding captions to videos or coming up with ways to navigate the site using only audio cues. One of his main projects is automated alt-text which describes audibly what is in Facebook images. Today it is available in over 29 languages on Facebook on the web, iOS and Android.
In December 2017, Facebook pushed an automatic alt-text update that used facial recognition to help visually impaired people find out who is in photos.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events January 19, 2019 Workshop on Secrets to Deal with ADHD Children
- Events January 20, 2019 Cognitive Approach to Autism Management
- Accessibility January 22, 2019 From ground up to policy level, Multiple Sclerosis Society of India speaks for patients India-wide
- Parasports January 17, 2019 Kerala government move to hold marathon with disabled category welcomed
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Find a life partner at this disability matrimonial event
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Bengaluru NGOs show a large heart with donations for disabled, homeless people
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Parenting Disability: Me as an orthpedically challenged child - Guest Column by Payal Kukreja
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News