Amputee sportsmen seeks financial help to get new set of prosthetic legs
January 24, 2018
19-year-old champion Aakash Mehra is an Asian Youth Para Champion with an impressive record in sports.
He won two gold medals in javelin throw in the state-level tournaments and one silver medal in the 2017 National Senior Para Athletic Championship. Most recently, he won silver in the Asian Youth Para Games held in December 2017 in Dubai.
Mehra's dream was to play for the Indian hockey team until he lost his legs
But Mehra's future in sports now depends on whether or not he gets financial help for medical treatment. Mehra has prosthetic legs, and is running out of funds for further medical treatment of his artificial limbs. He comes from a poor family and cannot fund his treatment.
Mehra had dreamed of playing for the national hockey team and had even played state-level matches. He switched to javelin throw in handicapped category after he lost his legs in a train accident in 2002. His world changed suddenly and things looked bleak until in 2014, a non resident Indian came forward and helped fund his prosthetic treatment.
Mehra is once again looking for financial aid from the government for the servicing charges and the prosthetic knee replacement. His mother works as a domestic help and because of her husband's mental illness, has to support the family single-handed.
Currently Mehra is training at the Sports Authority of India (SAI) in Gujarat and is preparing for the Senior National Para athletic Games, 2018.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Headlines April 12, 2019 IPL 2019- CSK beats RR
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News