Amputee sportsmen seeks financial help to get new set of prosthetic legs
19-year-old champion Aakash Mehra is an Asian Youth Para Champion with an impressive record in sports.
He won two gold medals in javelin throw in the state-level tournaments and one silver medal in the 2017 National Senior Para Athletic Championship. Most recently, he won silver in the Asian Youth Para Games held in December 2017 in Dubai.
Mehra's dream was to play for the Indian hockey team until he lost his legs
But Mehra's future in sports now depends on whether or not he gets financial help for medical treatment. Mehra has prosthetic legs, and is running out of funds for further medical treatment of his artificial limbs. He comes from a poor family and cannot fund his treatment.
Mehra had dreamed of playing for the national hockey team and had even played state-level matches. He switched to javelin throw in handicapped category after he lost his legs in a train accident in 2002. His world changed suddenly and things looked bleak until in 2014, a non resident Indian came forward and helped fund his prosthetic treatment.
Mehra is once again looking for financial aid from the government for the servicing charges and the prosthetic knee replacement. His mother works as a domestic help and because of her husband's mental illness, has to support the family single-handed.
Currently Mehra is training at the Sports Authority of India (SAI) in Gujarat and is preparing for the Senior National Para athletic Games, 2018.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Pakistani actors and artists banned by Indian film industry
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News