Amputee sportsmen seeks financial help to get new set of prosthetic legs
19-year-old champion Aakash Mehra is an Asian Youth Para Champion with an impressive record in sports.
He won two gold medals in javelin throw in the state-level tournaments and one silver medal in the 2017 National Senior Para Athletic Championship. Most recently, he won silver in the Asian Youth Para Games held in December 2017 in Dubai.
Mehra's dream was to play for the Indian hockey team until he lost his legs
But Mehra's future in sports now depends on whether or not he gets financial help for medical treatment. Mehra has prosthetic legs, and is running out of funds for further medical treatment of his artificial limbs. He comes from a poor family and cannot fund his treatment.
Mehra had dreamed of playing for the national hockey team and had even played state-level matches. He switched to javelin throw in handicapped category after he lost his legs in a train accident in 2002. His world changed suddenly and things looked bleak until in 2014, a non resident Indian came forward and helped fund his prosthetic treatment.
Mehra is once again looking for financial aid from the government for the servicing charges and the prosthetic knee replacement. His mother works as a domestic help and because of her husband's mental illness, has to support the family single-handed.
Currently Mehra is training at the Sports Authority of India (SAI) in Gujarat and is preparing for the Senior National Para athletic Games, 2018.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
- Accessibility December 9, 2018 Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Society attitudes are a big threat for development of children with disabilities
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
- Events December 11, 2018 Annual Party Forum For Autism
- Events December 11, 2018 Forging the Assistive Technology value chain
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Isha Ambani & Anand Piramal ties the knot at Ambani’s residence in Mumbai
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Shaktikanta Das to succeed Urjit Patel as RBI governor
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News