Australian woman set to make history at wheelchair marathon challenge across 7 countries!
January 24, 2018
STEVE Birnie is known as a marathon man but his next challenge is all set to enter history books.
The 54-year-old Australian is about to set out on 42-km marathons on seven continents in just seven days and he will be pushing 26-year-old Johanna Garvin, who is set to create a record as the first person to compete in the World Marathon Challenge in a wheelchair.
They will first fly out to South Africa and from there to a Russian research base in Antarctica to start the first marathon on 30 January alongside over 50 other runners.
The group is hoping to raise about $50,000 during the challenge to support the Cerebral Palsy Alliance.
Johanna's wheelchair has been equipped with 10-cm thick tyres, with special grips so it becomes easier to push over the ice. They plan to also run in Perth, Lisbon, Cartagena in Colombia and finally Miami.
Johanna has cerebral palsy after she suffered a stroke as a newborn. She will be pushed a total of 295km across seven continents within 168 hours. To help go to: cpfundraising.org.au/fundraisers/johannagarvin
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Share funding details, court tells political parties
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Hygiene lessons for children with autism can be made fun, here's how
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Jallianwalah Bagh massacre, people pay tribute
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Black Hole image creator is a media star
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News