Australian woman set to make history at wheelchair marathon challenge across 7 countries!
STEVE Birnie is known as a marathon man but his next challenge is all set to enter history books.
The 54-year-old Australian is about to set out on 42-km marathons on seven continents in just seven days and he will be pushing 26-year-old Johanna Garvin, who is set to create a record as the first person to compete in the World Marathon Challenge in a wheelchair.
They will first fly out to South Africa and from there to a Russian research base in Antarctica to start the first marathon on 30 January alongside over 50 other runners.
The group is hoping to raise about $50,000 during the challenge to support the Cerebral Palsy Alliance.
Johanna's wheelchair has been equipped with 10-cm thick tyres, with special grips so it becomes easier to push over the ice. They plan to also run in Perth, Lisbon, Cartagena in Colombia and finally Miami.
Johanna has cerebral palsy after she suffered a stroke as a newborn. She will be pushed a total of 295km across seven continents within 168 hours. To help go to: cpfundraising.org.au/fundraisers/johannagarvin
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 4, 2018 India’s first engineless ‘Train 18’ completes successful trial run
- Headlines December 4, 2018 Jet Airways cancels 14 flights as pilots didn’t show up for work
- Technology December 10, 2018 Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
- Get-hooked December 6, 2018 Activities that can be fun & stimulating for kids with dyspraxia
- Headlines December 5, 2018 Australian fans criticize local media for insulting Indian cricketers
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 What makes them Disability Heroes - World Disability Day Special
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
- Events December 8, 2018 Poetry and Talent Nite at Mitr
- Get-hooked December 4, 2018 Smileys India bats for inclusion through art
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News