This rural Tamil Nadu farm offers disabled skills & opportunities to live independently
A United Nations report says that 74% of physically disabled population of working age in India are unemployed.
It was to address this gap and enable the disabled to meet their potential that the Sristi Foundation was set up in 2013. In 2014, the Sristi village was also set up, both in rural Tamil Nadu, around 30 km from Puducherry.
Sristi Foundation awarded Innovative Social Change Maker Award from Yuva Unstoppable, Tamil Nadu
The founder G Karthikeyan wanted to set up an inclusive community where children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities were respected and given opportunities to lead a life of dignity.
Karthikeyan, who grew up in an orphanage, saw firsthand the discrimination that people with disabilities face, be it in employment or education. He decided to work towards setting up a home where they could live as well as a training center.
He started an NGO Sristi Foundation and realised that farming was an option for employment. He found ways to create a space where they could live and work using natural farming methods.
This led to the birth of Sristi Village, an eco-friendly, self-sustaining community for the disabled from poor families.
Over the last three years, Sristi Foundation has worked with 15 adults and 18 children with disabilities from poor backgrounds to enable them to live a better life.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Patients find centre stage in competencies aimed to develop disability-inclusive compassionate care
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajasthan Royals will wear pink this IPL season
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Headlines February 11, 2019 ‘Gully Boy’ screened at Berlin Film Festival, gets positive reviews
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News