This rural Tamil Nadu farm offers disabled skills & opportunities to live independently
January 25, 2018
A United Nations report says that 74% of physically disabled population of working age in India are unemployed.
It was to address this gap and enable the disabled to meet their potential that the Sristi Foundation was set up in 2013. In 2014, the Sristi village was also set up, both in rural Tamil Nadu, around 30 km from Puducherry.
Sristi Foundation awarded Innovative Social Change Maker Award from Yuva Unstoppable, Tamil Nadu
The founder G Karthikeyan wanted to set up an inclusive community where children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities were respected and given opportunities to lead a life of dignity.
Karthikeyan, who grew up in an orphanage, saw firsthand the discrimination that people with disabilities face, be it in employment or education. He decided to work towards setting up a home where they could live as well as a training center.
He started an NGO Sristi Foundation and realised that farming was an option for employment. He found ways to create a space where they could live and work using natural farming methods.
This led to the birth of Sristi Village, an eco-friendly, self-sustaining community for the disabled from poor families.
Over the last three years, Sristi Foundation has worked with 15 adults and 18 children with disabilities from poor backgrounds to enable them to live a better life.
Watch in Sign Language
- #RareDiseases - Poor awareness & support among the challenges people with Sturge-Weber syndrome face in India
July 18, 2019
- Trolled for a disability, UPSC topper Ira Singhal highlights need for inclusive education
July 18, 2019
- Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 18, 2019 3rd National wheelchair Rugby Championship 2019
- Headlines July 19, 2019 13 dead in Mumbai building collapse
- Headlines July 14, 2019 Middle order batsman failed, causing India's collapse, says coach
- Employment July 12, 2019 These disabled women are making prosthetic aids that are enabling mobility for others
- Accessibility July 13, 2019 Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Parenting corner - Autism and Aggression
- Education July 17, 2019 Kerala High Court upholds guidelines for therapy centres in the state
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 #RareDiseases - Indian Rett Syndrome Foundation is raising awareness about this genetic brain disorder
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News