This rural Tamil Nadu farm offers disabled skills & opportunities to live independently
January 25, 2018
A United Nations report says that 74% of physically disabled population of working age in India are unemployed.
It was to address this gap and enable the disabled to meet their potential that the Sristi Foundation was set up in 2013. In 2014, the Sristi village was also set up, both in rural Tamil Nadu, around 30 km from Puducherry.
Sristi Foundation awarded Innovative Social Change Maker Award from Yuva Unstoppable, Tamil Nadu
The founder G Karthikeyan wanted to set up an inclusive community where children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities were respected and given opportunities to lead a life of dignity.
Karthikeyan, who grew up in an orphanage, saw firsthand the discrimination that people with disabilities face, be it in employment or education. He decided to work towards setting up a home where they could live as well as a training center.
He started an NGO Sristi Foundation and realised that farming was an option for employment. He found ways to create a space where they could live and work using natural farming methods.
This led to the birth of Sristi Village, an eco-friendly, self-sustaining community for the disabled from poor families.
Over the last three years, Sristi Foundation has worked with 15 adults and 18 children with disabilities from poor backgrounds to enable them to live a better life.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Sadhvi Thakur slapped with notice over statements
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News