We don't want congratulatory tweets but support, says Indian blind cricket team
The Blind World Cup-winning Indian cricket team is back in India after an outstanding performance at the recently concluded World Cup. India played like champions throughout the event, not losing a single match.
Captained by Ajay Reddy, India defeated Pakistan by two wickets in the final to win the title. This has helped maintain their glorious run in Blind Cricket tournaments.
India has won the 2012, 2017 Twenty20 World Cups & the 2014, 2018 World Cups
In all these victories, Pakistan was the common factor. In the final match, Sunil Ramesh was the Man-of-the-Match for his brilliant 93.
Despite the success, the team longs for recognition. The Cricket Association for the Blind in India (CABI) is not affiliated to the main cricket board and the government offers token support. Even a practice ground is hard to get.
Marked difference in treatment given to blind cricketers in Pakistan
On the other hand, Pakistan gets support from the Pakistan Cricket Board. There is a budget for them and after they won the 2002 World Cup, the team got official recognition. Pakistan blind cricket players also get regular salaries, government jobs and special rewards while playing.
Indian blind cricket players say they don't want congratulatory tweets from Sachin Tendulkar or PM Narendra Modi. Instead they want support.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019