We don't want congratulatory tweets but support, says Indian blind cricket team
The Blind World Cup-winning Indian cricket team is back in India after an outstanding performance at the recently concluded World Cup. India played like champions throughout the event, not losing a single match.
Captained by Ajay Reddy, India defeated Pakistan by two wickets in the final to win the title. This has helped maintain their glorious run in Blind Cricket tournaments.
India has won the 2012, 2017 Twenty20 World Cups & the 2014, 2018 World Cups
In all these victories, Pakistan was the common factor. In the final match, Sunil Ramesh was the Man-of-the-Match for his brilliant 93.
Despite the success, the team longs for recognition. The Cricket Association for the Blind in India (CABI) is not affiliated to the main cricket board and the government offers token support. Even a practice ground is hard to get.
Marked difference in treatment given to blind cricketers in Pakistan
On the other hand, Pakistan gets support from the Pakistan Cricket Board. There is a budget for them and after they won the 2002 World Cup, the team got official recognition. Pakistan blind cricket players also get regular salaries, government jobs and special rewards while playing.
Indian blind cricket players say they don't want congratulatory tweets from Sachin Tendulkar or PM Narendra Modi. Instead they want support.
Watch in Sign Language
- Diabetes-related eye diseases is the leading cause of blindness in India, says study
December 14, 2018
- Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
December 14, 2018
- Deaf candidate Sudeep Shukla impresses in polls, shows the way to disabled political aspirants
December 13, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Society attitudes are a big threat for development of children with disabilities
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Virat gets booed by fans in Australia, 'not done' says former Aussie player
- Accessibility December 7, 2018 VaccesS 2018 an exhibition about innovative & latest assistive devices
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some benefits of yoga for children with autism
- Headlines December 8, 2018 Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje accuses opposition leader of body-shaming
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
- Events December 11, 2018 Annual Party Forum For Autism
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 10, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News