We don't want congratulatory tweets but support, says Indian blind cricket team
January 25, 2018
The Blind World Cup-winning Indian cricket team is back in India after an outstanding performance at the recently concluded World Cup. India played like champions throughout the event, not losing a single match.
Captained by Ajay Reddy, India defeated Pakistan by two wickets in the final to win the title. This has helped maintain their glorious run in Blind Cricket tournaments.
India has won the 2012, 2017 Twenty20 World Cups & the 2014, 2018 World Cups
In all these victories, Pakistan was the common factor. In the final match, Sunil Ramesh was the Man-of-the-Match for his brilliant 93.
Despite the success, the team longs for recognition. The Cricket Association for the Blind in India (CABI) is not affiliated to the main cricket board and the government offers token support. Even a practice ground is hard to get.
Marked difference in treatment given to blind cricketers in Pakistan
On the other hand, Pakistan gets support from the Pakistan Cricket Board. There is a budget for them and after they won the 2002 World Cup, the team got official recognition. Pakistan blind cricket players also get regular salaries, government jobs and special rewards while playing.
Indian blind cricket players say they don't want congratulatory tweets from Sachin Tendulkar or PM Narendra Modi. Instead they want support.
Watch in Sign Language
- #RareDiseases - Poor awareness & support among the challenges people with Sturge-Weber syndrome face in India
July 18, 2019
- Trolled for a disability, UPSC topper Ira Singhal highlights need for inclusive education
July 18, 2019
- Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 An instinctive, nurturing approach enables this music teacher to unearth talents in disabled students
- Events July 18, 2019 RUN for Wheels Marathon
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
- Parasports July 18, 2019 Dhoni is India’s pride & should stay - India's para cricketers root for the legend
- Events July 16, 2019 Swaras and More @ Mitr Cafe
- Education July 17, 2019 Kerala High Court upholds guidelines for therapy centres in the state
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 #RareDiseases - Organisation for Rare Diseases in India is out to change perceptions
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Saswati Singh's efforts to empower people with disabilities takes off as Nav Prerna Foundation
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Al-Qaeda head calls for attack on J&K in video
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News