We don't want congratulatory tweets but support, says Indian blind cricket team
January 25, 2018
The Blind World Cup-winning Indian cricket team is back in India after an outstanding performance at the recently concluded World Cup. India played like champions throughout the event, not losing a single match.
Captained by Ajay Reddy, India defeated Pakistan by two wickets in the final to win the title. This has helped maintain their glorious run in Blind Cricket tournaments.
India has won the 2012, 2017 Twenty20 World Cups & the 2014, 2018 World Cups
In all these victories, Pakistan was the common factor. In the final match, Sunil Ramesh was the Man-of-the-Match for his brilliant 93.
Despite the success, the team longs for recognition. The Cricket Association for the Blind in India (CABI) is not affiliated to the main cricket board and the government offers token support. Even a practice ground is hard to get.
Marked difference in treatment given to blind cricketers in Pakistan
On the other hand, Pakistan gets support from the Pakistan Cricket Board. There is a budget for them and after they won the 2002 World Cup, the team got official recognition. Pakistan blind cricket players also get regular salaries, government jobs and special rewards while playing.
Indian blind cricket players say they don't want congratulatory tweets from Sachin Tendulkar or PM Narendra Modi. Instead they want support.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Vir Chakra recommended for Air Force pilot
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 #AutismPower - Arun Prasad inspires young people with autism to live life independently
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 'Mental hai kya': Sensational & STIGMA MULTIPLIES? - My take by Dr Harish Shetty
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News