Wheelchair users go scuba diving in Puducherry!
January 25, 2018
A group of adventure sports enthusiasts got the opportunity to do some some deep sea and scuba diving off the coast of Puducherry. Ten participants all on wheelchairs enrolled and after the initial steps, a few were finally chosen.
All of them were wheelchair users with severe spinal cord or amputation injuries. This was a first-of-its-kind event anywhere in India organised by Adventures Beyond Barriers Foundation, a Pune-based NGO, in partnership with Chandigarh Spinal Rehab. The event was called Dive For Joy and Temple Adventures based in Puducherry were the scuba partners.
Participants include paraplegics, quadriplegics and amputees from across the country. Prior knowledge of diving and swimming was not required and all the participants were guided by fully certified trainers.
There were two instructors to every diver. Some of the participants were entering the water after 15 years, while it was the first time for others.
Watch in Sign Language
- #RareDiseases - Poor awareness & support among the challenges people with Sturge-Weber syndrome face in India
July 18, 2019
- Trolled for a disability, UPSC topper Ira Singhal highlights need for inclusive education
July 18, 2019
- Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines July 14, 2019 Kumaraswamy calls for floor test amid political crisis
- Events July 18, 2019 Josh Run
- Headlines July 15, 2019 England wins 2019 World Cup trophy
- Education July 15, 2019 Viewing the draft National Education Policy 2019 through the disability lens - Guest column by Shampa Sengupta
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
- Events July 18, 2019 Inclusive Art : Shifting From Neurotypical Frameworks
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Some tips to help a child with Down syndrome sleep better
- Headlines July 17, 2019 Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
- Parasports July 18, 2019 Dhoni is India’s pride & should stay - India's para cricketers root for the legend
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Freedom Carnival 2019 celebrates inclusion with children with disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News