Portable ramp makes train travel easier for the disabled
For most disabled people in India, public transport is a painful experience. There are no proper ramps, wheelchairs, or lifts and this makes it hard for them to board trains or buses,
Hopefully this will change soon as the first step towards making trains more accessible was made last week when the Guntur-Vikarabad Palnadu Express got a special ramp and wheelchair.
Made by Callidai Motor Works, the ramp is specially designed to fit into the entrance of any coach. The wheelchairs are also made to fit the size of coaches, giving the user the freedom to enter any coach.
This is just one of the many thousands of trains across India but its a step towards making facilities more inclusive. Many other railway divisions like like Salem and Thiruvananthapuram have shown interest in using the portable ramp.
At least one person has been using the ramp everyday since its launch. The ideal situation will be for every station in India to have this facility.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Virat gets booed by fans in Australia, 'not done' says former Aussie player
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Zomato delivery boy sacked after video goes viral
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Isha Ambani & Anand Piramal ties the knot at Ambani’s residence in Mumbai
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 New study highlights importance of building motor skills in kids with autism
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News