Portable ramp makes train travel easier for the disabled
For most disabled people in India, public transport is a painful experience. There are no proper ramps, wheelchairs, or lifts and this makes it hard for them to board trains or buses,
Hopefully this will change soon as the first step towards making trains more accessible was made last week when the Guntur-Vikarabad Palnadu Express got a special ramp and wheelchair.
Made by Callidai Motor Works, the ramp is specially designed to fit into the entrance of any coach. The wheelchairs are also made to fit the size of coaches, giving the user the freedom to enter any coach.
This is just one of the many thousands of trains across India but its a step towards making facilities more inclusive. Many other railway divisions like like Salem and Thiruvananthapuram have shown interest in using the portable ramp.
At least one person has been using the ramp everyday since its launch. The ideal situation will be for every station in India to have this facility.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 16, 2018 Over 70 cases of Zika virus reported in Rajasthan
- Accessibility October 16, 2018 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Tips to handle noise sensitivity in children with autism
- Get-hooked October 14, 2018 Visually impaired girls perfomed garba on song written by Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Get-hooked October 13, 2018 Government announces scholarships for students with disabilities
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 This special school in Madurai focuses on various therapies for disabled children
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Check out these reasons to not miss out on Dandiya this Navratri
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility October 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News