Portable ramp makes train travel easier for the disabled
January 26, 2018
For most disabled people in India, public transport is a painful experience. There are no proper ramps, wheelchairs, or lifts and this makes it hard for them to board trains or buses,
Hopefully this will change soon as the first step towards making trains more accessible was made last week when the Guntur-Vikarabad Palnadu Express got a special ramp and wheelchair.
Made by Callidai Motor Works, the ramp is specially designed to fit into the entrance of any coach. The wheelchairs are also made to fit the size of coaches, giving the user the freedom to enter any coach.
This is just one of the many thousands of trains across India but its a step towards making facilities more inclusive. Many other railway divisions like like Salem and Thiruvananthapuram have shown interest in using the portable ramp.
At least one person has been using the ramp everyday since its launch. The ideal situation will be for every station in India to have this facility.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Events April 15, 2019 NALS Adventure Camp
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News