Portable ramp makes train travel easier for the disabled
January 26, 2018
For most disabled people in India, public transport is a painful experience. There are no proper ramps, wheelchairs, or lifts and this makes it hard for them to board trains or buses,
Hopefully this will change soon as the first step towards making trains more accessible was made last week when the Guntur-Vikarabad Palnadu Express got a special ramp and wheelchair.
Made by Callidai Motor Works, the ramp is specially designed to fit into the entrance of any coach. The wheelchairs are also made to fit the size of coaches, giving the user the freedom to enter any coach.
This is just one of the many thousands of trains across India but its a step towards making facilities more inclusive. Many other railway divisions like like Salem and Thiruvananthapuram have shown interest in using the portable ramp.
At least one person has been using the ramp everyday since its launch. The ideal situation will be for every station in India to have this facility.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 20, 2019 Workshop on Behaviour Therapy
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Panel to review ‘One Nation, One Election’ plan
- Get-hooked June 24, 2019 Disabled adults experience the healing touch of animals for the first time at a therapy session
- Education June 21, 2019 American College in Madurai introduces disability studies in syllabus
- Headlines June 26, 2019 11 arrested in Jharkhand lynching case
- Headlines June 27, 2019 Salman Khan accused of assault, robbery
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News