Portable ramp makes train travel easier for the disabled
For most disabled people in India, public transport is a painful experience. There are no proper ramps, wheelchairs, or lifts and this makes it hard for them to board trains or buses,
Hopefully this will change soon as the first step towards making trains more accessible was made last week when the Guntur-Vikarabad Palnadu Express got a special ramp and wheelchair.
Made by Callidai Motor Works, the ramp is specially designed to fit into the entrance of any coach. The wheelchairs are also made to fit the size of coaches, giving the user the freedom to enter any coach.
This is just one of the many thousands of trains across India but its a step towards making facilities more inclusive. Many other railway divisions like like Salem and Thiruvananthapuram have shown interest in using the portable ramp.
At least one person has been using the ramp everyday since its launch. The ideal situation will be for every station in India to have this facility.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Headlines February 20, 2019 Two jets crash ahead of Bengaluru Aero India event, one pilot dies
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Events February 21, 2019 Course in Learning Disabilities from Samadhan Goyam
- Events February 20, 2019 Paintability!
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Pakistani actors and artists banned by Indian film industry
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Get-hooked February 7, 2019