India's first Paralympic gold medallist Murlikant Petkar awarded Padma Shri
India's first Paralympic gold medallist, Murlikant Petkar has been given the Padma Shri award. The announcement on the even of Republic Day, mentions many other top sportspersons in the list.
Former India cricket team captain Mahendra Singh and billiards champion Pankaj Advani have beeen given the Padma Bhushan, which is the country's third-highest civilian award.
2017 World Weightlifting Champion in the 48kg category, Saikhom Mirabai Chanu, men's badminton player Kidambi Srikanth and former Asian Games gold medallist tennis player Somdev Devvarman have been given the Padma Shri.
Murlikant Petkar won an individual gold medal in the 1972 Summer Paralympics, in Heidelberg, Germany. He set a world record in the 50m freestyle swimming event, at 37.33 seconds. In the same games he participated in javelin, precision javelin throw and slalom. He was a finalist in all three events.
Dhoni has won many awards, including the ICC ODI Player of the Year award in 2008 and 2009, the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award in 2007 and the Padma Shri, India's fourth highest civilian honour in 2009.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility December 7, 2018 VaccesS 2018 an exhibition about innovative & latest assistive devices
- Education December 7, 2018 Tips to help children with dyscalculia
- Events December 13, 2018 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Top world celebs at Isha Ambani’s pre-wedding festivities
- Parasports December 11, 2018 Protest by Kerala para sportspersons to draw attention to struggle for facilities, funding
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked December 8, 2018