Scuba diving for disabled people at Puducherry was truly a Dive for Joy
January 29, 2018
It was a first-of-its-kind event anywhere in India and there was plenty of excitement and adventurous spirits evident at the Open Water Scuba Diving Event for disabled people in Puducherry .
Called Dive For Joy, the event was organised by Adventures Beyond Barriers Foundation, which is a Pune-based NGO, in partnership with Chandigarh Spinal Rehab.
Founded in 2014, ABF's mission is to use adventure sports as a platform to promote inclusion. It works across five streams - scuba diving, tandem cycling, mountaineering and trekking, paragliding, and marathons. Chandigarh Spinal Rehab is a rehabilitation centre that aims to enable independent living and improve quality of life for people with spinal cord and brain injuries.
Over 10 people with disabilities took part in the event, with all of them getting an opportunity to swim into the open sea off the coast of Puducherry. In the group were paraplegics, quadriplegics and amputees from across India.
It was not necessary that they knew diving and swimming beforehand as they were guided by fully-certified trainers. Many of those taking part were entering the water for the first time in their lives! Like Ajeyaraj, a quadriplegic from the Chandigarh Spinal Rehab.
"I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would get to scuba dive after being wheelchair-bound after my accident. Now I saw the ocean for the first time in my life, and I am going underwater to see what lies underneath the ocean. I have never been more excited!" - Ajeyaraj
The scuba training was at the hands of experienced and certified instructors provided by Temple Adventures, which is an organisation in Puducherry.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Bus stops in Delhi to get audio facilities, says Delhi Transport Corporation
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 #AutismPower - Varun Sawant juggles multiple talents with great style
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News