Scuba diving for disabled at Puducherry was truly a Dive for Joy
It was a first-of-its-kind event anywhere in India and there was plenty of excitement and adventurous spirits evident at the Open Water Scuba Diving Event for Persons with Disability held at Puducherry from 22 to 24 January.
Called Dive For Joy, the event was organised by Adventures Beyond Barriers Foundation, which is a Pune-based NGO, in partnership with Chandigarh Spinal Rehab.
Founded in 2014, ABF's mission is to use adventure sports as a platform to promote inclusion. It works in five streams - scuba diving, tandem cycling, mountaineering and trekking, paragliding, and marathons. Chandigarh Spinal Rehab is a rehabilitation centre that aims to enable independent living and improve quality of life for people with spinal cord and brain injuries.
Over 10 people with disabilities took part in the event, with all of them getting an opportunity to swim into the open sea off the coast of Puducherry. In the group were paraplegics, quadriplegics and amputees from across India.
It was not necessary that they knew diving and swimming beforehand as they were guided by fully-certified trainers. Many of those taking part were entering the water for the first time in their lives! Like Ajeyaraj, a quadriplegic from the Chandigarh Spinal Rehab.
“I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would get to scuba dive after being wheelchair-bound after my accident. Now I saw the ocean for the first time in my life, and I am going underwater to see what lies underneath the ocean. I have never been more excited!” - Ajeyaraj
The scuba training was at the hands of experienced and certified instructors provided by Temple Adventures, which is an organisation in Puducherry.
Watch in Sign Language
- This Bengaluru NGO looks to nature to improve the wellbeing of disabled kids
October 19, 2018
- Cycling for children with autism, some information
October 19, 2018
- ALFAA centre for people with autism has a story of remarkable spirit behind it
October 18, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports October 18, 2018 Prime Minister Modi meets India's Para Asian Games players
- Parasports October 14, 2018 India win Blind Cricket Tri Series final, beat Sri Lanka by 10 wickets
- Accessibility October 13, 2018 Feedback sought on issues faced by visually impaired people while using PayTM
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh will now be known as Prayagraj
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 Staying fit with a disability is easy, here are some tips
- Parasports October 17, 2018 Deepak Malik's century gives India lead against Sri Lanka in Blind Cricket Twenty20 series
- Education October 18, 2018 Proposal to start sign language exams needs a reality check, say experts
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Sudeep Shukla, India's first deaf MLA candidate looks forward to making history
- Technology October 17, 2018 Regional language dyslexia screening tool, DALI, now available as an app
- Employment October 19, 2018 An informative ‘Career Planning’ session for visually impaired people
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News