Scuba diving for disabled people at Puducherry was truly a Dive for Joy
It was a first-of-its-kind event anywhere in India and there was plenty of excitement and adventurous spirits evident at the Open Water Scuba Diving Event for disabled people in Puducherry .
Called Dive For Joy, the event was organised by Adventures Beyond Barriers Foundation, which is a Pune-based NGO, in partnership with Chandigarh Spinal Rehab.
Founded in 2014, ABF's mission is to use adventure sports as a platform to promote inclusion. It works across five streams - scuba diving, tandem cycling, mountaineering and trekking, paragliding, and marathons. Chandigarh Spinal Rehab is a rehabilitation centre that aims to enable independent living and improve quality of life for people with spinal cord and brain injuries.
Over 10 people with disabilities took part in the event, with all of them getting an opportunity to swim into the open sea off the coast of Puducherry. In the group were paraplegics, quadriplegics and amputees from across India.
It was not necessary that they knew diving and swimming beforehand as they were guided by fully-certified trainers. Many of those taking part were entering the water for the first time in their lives! Like Ajeyaraj, a quadriplegic from the Chandigarh Spinal Rehab.
“I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would get to scuba dive after being wheelchair-bound after my accident. Now I saw the ocean for the first time in my life, and I am going underwater to see what lies underneath the ocean. I have never been more excited!” - Ajeyaraj
The scuba training was at the hands of experienced and certified instructors provided by Temple Adventures, which is an organisation in Puducherry.
Watch in Sign Language
- Para athletes see opportunities in Citi-International Paralympic Committee partnership
December 18, 2018
- Nothing stops this blind cricketer from batting for inclusion into IPL
December 17, 2018
- Exciting cricket at 1st triangular blind cricket series for girls
December 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Isha Ambani & Anand Piramal ties the knot at Ambani’s residence in Mumbai
- Events December 17, 2018 Blind Cricket League
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Society attitudes are a big threat for development of children with disabilities
- Accessibility December 18, 2018 Chennai's largest inclusive children's playground has something unique for everyone
- Events December 17, 2018 Tycoons Rotary Marathon
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
- Parasports December 16, 2018 Exciting cricket at 1st triangular blind cricket series for girls
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
- Headlines December 18, 2018 New Madhya Pradesh CM waives off farmers' loan after taking charge
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018