2018 Australian Deaf Games were a huge success
Saturday saw the closing ceremony of the 2018 Australian Deaf Games. The tournament started on the 20 January and ended with splendor on 27 January.
Most points were earned by the NSW team and they proudly boasted their overall win at the tournament. 17 different sporting events were covered at the tournament this year and the organisers are hopeful of another successful run at the next games.
This year the event took place in Albury-Wodonga and more than 1000 competitors took part in it.
There were athletes, interpreters, visitors, officials and volunteers from around Australia, New Zealand, and parts of Fiji and Samoa.
The Australian Deaf Games are held every four years normally however, the duration has been reduced to two years to ensure that deaf athletes can get through to international competition such as the Asia Pacific Deaf Games and Deaflympics.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Kashmir Valley shuts down after terror attack
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Get-hooked February 14, 2019