Making your workplace disabled friendly - 5 ways to do it
There are many ways to build disability awareness and friendliness in the workplace. Here are some ways to do it.
- Build awareness
- This can be done through training sessions and classes that will help employers gain greater insight as to how they can help disabled colleagues.
- Right equipment
- Make sure your office design has a place for everyone. A parking space that can be used and accessed by all employees is a great start. If there are stairs in the office, fit a ramp. This way wheelchair users will have access. You can also have height adjustable desks, easy to access plug sockets, adjustable monitor arms, to name a few.
- Focus on health & well-being
- Make sure there is support and encouragement offered to all employees so they will help disabled employees perform to the best of their ability.
- Form a support group
- A support group for disabled employees will enable them to voice their problems and discuss any issues they may be facing within the work environment.
- Modify the work day
- Allow some modifications to the working day. This includes flexible starting times, frequent breaks and the opportunity to work from home from time to time.