The Global Appeal 2018 to end stigma against leprosy starts in New Delhi
The Global Appeal, an annual initiative by The Nippon Foundation to end stigma and discrimination against people with leprosy and their families, is being launched today in New Delhi.
Started in 2006, the Global Appeal, led by Yohei Sasakawa, chairman, TNF and the WHO Goodwill Ambassador for Leprosy Elimination, has been working to raise awareness on the issue and draw global support. For 2018, TNF has partnered with Disabled Peoples' International (DPI), which is the world's first successful cross-disability organization based in Canada.
First Global Appeal announced in India in 2006
DPI has an outreach in more than 130 countries across seven regions – Africa, Arab, Asia-Pacific, CIS, Europe, Latin America and North America and the Caribbean. Javed Abidi is the Global Chair of DPI. About 91 Member National Assemblies of the DPI have endorsed the Global Appeal and promised to work towards bridging the gap between the disability and the leprosy sectors by integrating people affected by leprosy into the larger disability movement.
The opening remarks will be made by Javed Abidi, Global Chair, Disabled Peoples’ International, Dr. P.K. Gopal, Co-founder and President, IDEA (India), Shakuntala D. Gamlin, Secretary, Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment (TBC) and Yohei Sasakawa, Chairman, The Nippon Foundation.
After the launch, there will be a National Conference on Leprosy and Disability.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports December 11, 2018 Protest by Kerala para sportspersons to draw attention to struggle for facilities, funding
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
- Education December 14, 2018 Sol's Arc is making the world a better place for children with disabilities
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Deaf candidate Sudeep Shukla impresses in polls, shows the way to disabled political aspirants
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Abuse at therapy centres in Kerala under scanner again, government promises redressal
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 14, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018