The Global Appeal 2018 to end stigma against leprosy starts in New Delhi
The Global Appeal, an annual initiative by The Nippon Foundation to end stigma and discrimination against people with leprosy and their families, is being launched today in New Delhi.
Started in 2006, the Global Appeal, led by Yohei Sasakawa, chairman, TNF and the WHO Goodwill Ambassador for Leprosy Elimination, has been working to raise awareness on the issue and draw global support. For 2018, TNF has partnered with Disabled Peoples' International (DPI), which is the world's first successful cross-disability organization based in Canada.
First Global Appeal announced in India in 2006
DPI has an outreach in more than 130 countries across seven regions – Africa, Arab, Asia-Pacific, CIS, Europe, Latin America and North America and the Caribbean. Javed Abidi is the Global Chair of DPI. About 91 Member National Assemblies of the DPI have endorsed the Global Appeal and promised to work towards bridging the gap between the disability and the leprosy sectors by integrating people affected by leprosy into the larger disability movement.
The opening remarks will be made by Javed Abidi, Global Chair, Disabled Peoples’ International, Dr. P.K. Gopal, Co-founder and President, IDEA (India), Shakuntala D. Gamlin, Secretary, Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment (TBC) and Yohei Sasakawa, Chairman, The Nippon Foundation.
After the launch, there will be a National Conference on Leprosy and Disability.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajinikanth’s daughter Soundarya gets married
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 17, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News