The Global Appeal 2018 to end stigma against leprosy starts in New Delhi
January 31, 2018
The Global Appeal, an annual initiative by The Nippon Foundation to end stigma and discrimination against people with leprosy and their families, is being launched today in New Delhi.
Started in 2006, the Global Appeal, led by Yohei Sasakawa, chairman, TNF and the WHO Goodwill Ambassador for Leprosy Elimination, has been working to raise awareness on the issue and draw global support. For 2018, TNF has partnered with Disabled Peoples' International (DPI), which is the world's first successful cross-disability organization based in Canada.
First Global Appeal announced in India in 2006
DPI has an outreach in more than 130 countries across seven regions - Africa, Arab, Asia-Pacific, CIS, Europe, Latin America and North America and the Caribbean. Javed Abidi is the Global Chair of DPI. About 91 Member National Assemblies of the DPI have endorsed the Global Appeal and promised to work towards bridging the gap between the disability and the leprosy sectors by integrating people affected by leprosy into the larger disability movement.
The opening remarks will be made by Javed Abidi, Global Chair, Disabled Peoples' International, Dr. P.K. Gopal, Co-founder and President, IDEA (India), Shakuntala D. Gamlin, Secretary, Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment (TBC) and Yohei Sasakawa, Chairman, The Nippon Foundation.
After the launch, there will be a National Conference on Leprosy and Disability.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News