ADHD and marriage - How couples make it work
The challenges of being in a marriage where one partner has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, ADHD are many, but it can work if there is deep commitment from both sides.
Most news articles about such marriages talk about the challenges like forgetfulness, impulsivity, and the powerful emotions and anger that threaten the relationship.
But studies show that partners with ADHD share many of the same frustrations as their non-ADHD counterparts. They feel misunderstood and unloved. They get angry when their partners criticise them a lot, and they worry that their relationship will break down because of their disorganisation.
Most ADHD partners are strongly committed to their spouses, their families, and their relationships. They bounce back when things go off track They also take time to learn about their ADHD and treatment options.
Most couples say that communication breakdowns were the number one challenge in their relationship. Some people have trouble processing what their partner is saying and drift off.
Other common problems reported are anger and outbursts, to the point of screaming and shouting.
Some tips for making it work
- ADHD diagnosis and treatment is essential to a strong relationship so get treatment as soon as possible.
- Divide household chores equally
- Understanding ADHD is key to understanding each other. It’s important that both partners learn about ADHD, not just the partner who has it.
- Conversations quickly escalate to arguments and hurt feelings in ADHD marriages, so it makes sense to work together on communication. This may need the help of a counsellor or an online class.
- A successful ADHD marriage requires give and take.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
- Headlines December 8, 2018 Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje accuses opposition leader of body-shaming
- Headlines December 11, 2018 Farmer sells 2,000-kg onion for 6/-, sends money to top politician
- Accessibility December 9, 2018 Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
- Headlines December 11, 2018 India celebrates first Test win in Australia in 10 years
- Headlines December 12, 2018 United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 8, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News