Popcorn tubs at a popular Chennai theatre get a makeover designed by artists with special needs
February 3, 2018
From yellow taxis to blue mountains and even Chacha Nehru in a new look - the popcorn tubs designed by Differently Designed at Chennai's SPI Cinemas are becoming the talk of the town.
Everyone loves popcorn but the tubs they come in never get a second look. Enter Differently Designed, a new design house from Kai Rassi, a Chennai company that works with artists with special needs.
The tubs, launched just this week, come in four design varieties that are getting a lot of interest. The brainchild behind this are three school friends - Indira Reddy, Kadambari Narendran and Divya Rao. They started Kai Rassi a year ago to showcase and sell artwork online. Today it has become a platform for workshops and talent-building.
They aim to change the way people look at the disabled and create mainstream opportunities for the community.
Three artists were chosen to design the popcorn tubs. Two have autism and the third has cerebral palsy. Each tub comes with a descriptor on the artists, and their mediums of expression.
With 14 artists on board, the team at Differently Designed is looking at more ventures. They would like to collaborate with names like clothing-dÃ©cor brand Nicobar, watchmakers Titan, and jewellery brands Caratlane and Tanishq.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s ‘Super 30’ hits theatres
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Sibaji Panda is bringing Indian sign language to the forefront
- Events July 16, 2019 Screening of MetaMorphosis
- Headlines July 14, 2019 Middle order batsman failed, causing India's collapse, says coach
- Events July 16, 2019 International Autism Conference
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Over 50 people dead, 30 missing in Nepal floods
- Accessibility July 13, 2019 Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News