New software changes text to Arabic sign language for deaf in the UAE
February 5, 2018
A new software is helping the deaf community in the United Arab Emirates better understand online content. An animation figure pops up on a web page and translates text into sign language.
The program has been developed by a company in Jordan called Mind Rockets and is being used on websites that focus on telecommunication, restaurants, beauty, furniture and health care to guide the deaf in real time.
In the UAE, the application has recently been launched in Arabic sign language on the government websites. When a user clicks on the symbol that stands for hearing loss, a character appears at the bottom of the page. This character starts translating the text into sign language when the user puts the curser on the words they want translated.
For many in the deaf community, the internet is accessible. They do not go to mainstream schools and cannot read. This technology is trying to change that. The web interpreters will be available in American Sign Language as well as both Arabic and American forms of sign are popular in this region.
The aim is to build innovative technology to fully engage the hearing impaired.
Watch in Sign Language
- #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
August 19, 2019
- Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
August 16, 2019
- Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
August 14, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 19, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 Hydrotherapist Amal Upadhyay is convinced about the healing powers of swimming
- Events August 14, 2019 Pop-up and Sign Language session
- Headlines August 12, 2019 Curfew in Srinagar, people told to stay home
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Tips to lead a healthy lifestyle when you are an amputee
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Understanding Autism and Head banging
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Angry reactions to Mika Singh's performance in Karachi
- Headlines August 12, 2019 68 lives lost in Kerala floods
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Kerala minister K K Shailaja steps in for deaf child affected in the floods
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News