New software changes text to Arabic sign language for deaf in the UAE
February 5, 2018
A new software is helping the deaf community in the United Arab Emirates better understand online content. An animation figure pops up on a web page and translates text into sign language.
The program has been developed by a company in Jordan called Mind Rockets and is being used on websites that focus on telecommunication, restaurants, beauty, furniture and health care to guide the deaf in real time.
In the UAE, the application has recently been launched in Arabic sign language on the government websites. When a user clicks on the symbol that stands for hearing loss, a character appears at the bottom of the page. This character starts translating the text into sign language when the user puts the curser on the words they want translated.
For many in the deaf community, the internet is accessible. They do not go to mainstream schools and cannot read. This technology is trying to change that. The web interpreters will be available in American Sign Language as well as both Arabic and American forms of sign are popular in this region.
The aim is to build innovative technology to fully engage the hearing impaired.
Watch in Sign Language
- 'Have a right to be out & about', says Sindhu, only wheelchair user to attend Kerala's Attukal Pongala festival
May 26, 2019
- Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
May 23, 2019
- Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
May 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Para athlete Javed Choudhari to dance up a storm on reality show Dance Deewane
- Employment May 27, 2019 Wheelchair users in Kerala unhappy over denial of scheme for self-employment
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Experts claim music therapy helps enhance critical skills in children with autism
- Headlines May 26, 2019 Rahul Gandhi's resignation offer rejected
- Headlines May 24, 2019 Rahul concedes defeat, congratulates PM
- Accessibility May 20, 2019 Goa election officials, NGOs come together to conduct accessibility audit of polling booths
- Get-hooked May 25, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Education May 23, 2019 Hyderabad schools strictly warned not to deny admission to children with disabilities
- Parasports May 22, 2019 Para swimmers to battle sharks, icy waters in Catalina Channel, aim for Ocean Seven challenge
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Pune centre builds awareness, stands up to the stigma around schizophrenia
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News