New software changes text to Arabic sign language for deaf in the UAE
A new software is helping the deaf community in the United Arab Emirates better understand online content. An animation figure pops up on a web page and translates text into sign language.
The program has been developed by a company in Jordan called Mind Rockets and is being used on websites that focus on telecommunication, restaurants, beauty, furniture and health care to guide the deaf in real time.
In the UAE, the application has recently been launched in Arabic sign language on the government websites. When a user clicks on the symbol that stands for hearing loss, a character appears at the bottom of the page. This character starts translating the text into sign language when the user puts the curser on the words they want translated.
For many in the deaf community, the internet is accessible. They do not go to mainstream schools and cannot read. This technology is trying to change that. The web interpreters will be available in American Sign Language as well as both Arabic and American forms of sign are popular in this region.
The aim is to build innovative technology to fully engage the hearing impaired.
Watch in Sign Language
- Blind Faith Upgrade kit just the 1st step towards promoting accessibility, says Isobar India
January 16, 2019
- Gujarat National Law University sets up Enabling Unit for disabled students
January 15, 2019
- Toybank - Development through Play is enabling disabled kids to discover the power of play
January 14, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 16, 2019 Kumbh Mela 2019 begins in Prayagraj
- Headlines January 15, 2019 Gujarat becomes first state to implement 10% reservation for general category
- Accessibility January 10, 2019 Help The Blind Foundation is enabling people to reach new levels of excellence every day
- Headlines January 16, 2019 India beats Australia by 6 wickets in second ODI
- Get-hooked January 14, 2019 Survey to analyze challenges of disabled people in Tamil Nadu off to a slow start
- Parasports January 13, 2019 Tributes pour in for deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth after historic win
- Accessibility January 15, 2019 Gujarat National Law University sets up Enabling Unit for disabled students
- Events January 10, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Get-hooked January 12, 2019 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Get-hooked January 13, 2019 Understanding the communication disorder Echolalia
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News