New software changes text to Arabic sign language for deaf in the UAE
February 5, 2018
A new software is helping the deaf community in the United Arab Emirates better understand online content. An animation figure pops up on a web page and translates text into sign language.
The program has been developed by a company in Jordan called Mind Rockets and is being used on websites that focus on telecommunication, restaurants, beauty, furniture and health care to guide the deaf in real time.
In the UAE, the application has recently been launched in Arabic sign language on the government websites. When a user clicks on the symbol that stands for hearing loss, a character appears at the bottom of the page. This character starts translating the text into sign language when the user puts the curser on the words they want translated.
For many in the deaf community, the internet is accessible. They do not go to mainstream schools and cannot read. This technology is trying to change that. The web interpreters will be available in American Sign Language as well as both Arabic and American forms of sign are popular in this region.
The aim is to build innovative technology to fully engage the hearing impaired.
Watch in Sign Language
- PGIMER Chandigarh agrees to implement RPWD Act in 2019 prospectus for postgraduate medical students
March 25, 2019
- Best practice in early screening for deaf children in Mumbai - A study by The Stephen High School for the Deaf
March 22, 2019
- Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
March 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Anil Ambani pays dues, avoids jail term
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
- Events March 20, 2019 Run 4 Autism Marathon- More details to come
- Headlines March 18, 2019 New Zealand attack - 3 men from Hyderabad among 50 killed
- Headlines March 24, 2019 Jet Airways suspends flights to 13 international routes
- Events March 20, 2019 4th National Blind Football Tournament
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
- Events March 20, 2019 Session by Smrithy Rajesh
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Best practice in early screening for deaf children in Mumbai - A study by The Stephen High School for the Deaf
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News