7 heritage sites in Tamil Nadu to get disabled-friendly, part of Model Monuments scheme
February 6, 2018
The Archaeological Survey of India will develop accessible infrastructure at seven heritage sites in Tamil Nadu.
These include Sri Kailasanathar temple in Kancheepuram, Sithanavasal caves, Moovar Koil in Kodambalur near Pudukottai, and the Vellore and Gingee forts.
Initiative is part of a scheme to establish 'Model Monuments' across India
The facilities that will be set up are ramps, Braille boards with information about the sights and signage and tactile flooring, and disabled-friendly rest rooms.
These seven sites are under the Adarsh Smarak Abhiyan, which seeks to develop monuments into 'Model Monuments'.
Totally 100 monuments identified for accessible infrastructure under the scheme
Initially, 25 ancient sites have been identified for development. All facilities, including wi-fi, security, signage, encroachment-free areas, and centres showing short films about the importance of the monuments were to be installed at these monuments. Later, 75 more monuments were added to the list.
However, monuments that are at a higher level, such as the Gingee Fort, where the Sri Ranganathar temple is situated, there will be no access given to the hill top. Experts say that wherever possible they will create access.
Planet Abled founder Neha Arora has said that many heritage sites now have facilities for the disabled. She said that the more people with disabilities use such sites, the more facilities will come up.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports August 15, 2019 India triumph at Physical Disability World Cricket Series, will BCCI finally take note?
- Employment August 13, 2019 Government move to roll back disability pension tax on retired soldiers welcomed
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Kerala man Noushad wins hearts in flood-hit Kerala
- Events August 14, 2019 Traffic Awareness By Physically Challenged Friends
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Kellogg's Rice Krispies Treats' sensory love notes ease back to school transition for children with autism
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Alleged sexual harassment of child with autism in Kerala highlights need for tougher rules
- Headlines August 17, 2019 UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News