7 heritage sites in Tamil Nadu to get disabled-friendly, part of Model Monuments scheme
The Archaeological Survey of India will develop accessible infrastructure at seven heritage sites in Tamil Nadu.
These include Sri Kailasanathar temple in Kancheepuram, Sithanavasal caves, Moovar Koil in Kodambalur near Pudukottai, and the Vellore and Gingee forts.
Initiative is part of a scheme to establish ‘Model Monuments’ across India
The facilities that will be set up are ramps, Braille boards with information about the sights and signage and tactile flooring, and disabled-friendly rest rooms.
These seven sites are under the Adarsh Smarak Abhiyan, which seeks to develop monuments into ‘Model Monuments’.
Totally 100 monuments identified for accessible infrastructure under the scheme
Initially, 25 ancient sites have been identified for development. All facilities, including wi-fi, security, signage, encroachment-free areas, and centres showing short films about the importance of the monuments were to be installed at these monuments. Later, 75 more monuments were added to the list.
However, monuments that are at a higher level, such as the Gingee Fort, where the Sri Ranganathar temple is situated, there will be no access given to the hill top. Experts say that wherever possible they will create access.
Planet Abled founder Neha Arora has said that many heritage sites now have facilities for the disabled. She said that the more people with disabilities use such sites, the more facilities will come up.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Isha Ambani & Anand Piramal ties the knot at Ambani’s residence in Mumbai
- Parasports December 11, 2018 Protest by Kerala para sportspersons to draw attention to struggle for facilities, funding
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Deaf candidate Sudeep Shukla impresses in polls, shows the way to disabled political aspirants
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Intellectual Disability
- Events December 13, 2018 6th India International Deaf film festival 2019
- Events December 9, 2018 Mumbai Memory Cafe
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some benefits of yoga for children with autism
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News