7 heritage sites in Tamil Nadu to get disabled-friendly, part of Model Monuments scheme
The Archaeological Survey of India will develop accessible infrastructure at seven heritage sites in Tamil Nadu.
These include Sri Kailasanathar temple in Kancheepuram, Sithanavasal caves, Moovar Koil in Kodambalur near Pudukottai, and the Vellore and Gingee forts.
Initiative is part of a scheme to establish ‘Model Monuments’ across India
The facilities that will be set up are ramps, Braille boards with information about the sights and signage and tactile flooring, and disabled-friendly rest rooms.
These seven sites are under the Adarsh Smarak Abhiyan, which seeks to develop monuments into ‘Model Monuments’.
Totally 100 monuments identified for accessible infrastructure under the scheme
Initially, 25 ancient sites have been identified for development. All facilities, including wi-fi, security, signage, encroachment-free areas, and centres showing short films about the importance of the monuments were to be installed at these monuments. Later, 75 more monuments were added to the list.
However, monuments that are at a higher level, such as the Gingee Fort, where the Sri Ranganathar temple is situated, there will be no access given to the hill top. Experts say that wherever possible they will create access.
Planet Abled founder Neha Arora has said that many heritage sites now have facilities for the disabled. She said that the more people with disabilities use such sites, the more facilities will come up.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education October 16, 2018 Some tips to make classrooms inclusive for children with cerebral palsy
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 This special school in Madurai focuses on various therapies for disabled children
- Get-hooked October 13, 2018 Kerala wheelchair user faces police harassment, organizations rally in support
- Headlines October 16, 2018 Over 70 cases of Zika virus reported in Rajasthan
- Parasports October 16, 2018 Aiming for gold in 2020 Paralympics, Asian Para Games gold medalist Ekta Bhyan tells Newz Hook
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh will now be known as Prayagraj
- Headlines October 14, 2018 Industry 4.0 will create jobs, said Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility October 15, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News