7 heritage sites in Tamil Nadu to get disabled-friendly, part of Model Monuments scheme
The Archaeological Survey of India will develop accessible infrastructure at seven heritage sites in Tamil Nadu.
These include Sri Kailasanathar temple in Kancheepuram, Sithanavasal caves, Moovar Koil in Kodambalur near Pudukottai, and the Vellore and Gingee forts.
Initiative is part of a scheme to establish ‘Model Monuments’ across India
The facilities that will be set up are ramps, Braille boards with information about the sights and signage and tactile flooring, and disabled-friendly rest rooms.
These seven sites are under the Adarsh Smarak Abhiyan, which seeks to develop monuments into ‘Model Monuments’.
Totally 100 monuments identified for accessible infrastructure under the scheme
Initially, 25 ancient sites have been identified for development. All facilities, including wi-fi, security, signage, encroachment-free areas, and centres showing short films about the importance of the monuments were to be installed at these monuments. Later, 75 more monuments were added to the list.
However, monuments that are at a higher level, such as the Gingee Fort, where the Sri Ranganathar temple is situated, there will be no access given to the hill top. Experts say that wherever possible they will create access.
Planet Abled founder Neha Arora has said that many heritage sites now have facilities for the disabled. She said that the more people with disabilities use such sites, the more facilities will come up.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education February 19, 2019 The Gati initiative is enabling mainstream Mumbai schools to provide high quality, inclusive education
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Jaish-e-Mohammed's key aide killed in Kashmir
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Get-hooked February 21, 2019 Know more about the Race For 7 to mark International Rare Disease Day
- Parasports February 19, 2019 "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News