Shows on Broadway in New York now accessible to deaf people thanks to an app
One of the biggest tourist attractions in New York is Broadway. The shows and plays here are a must visit for anyone visiting this city. Now the shows here will soon be accessible to the deaf, thanks to a smartphone app.
GalaPro, an Israeli tech company, has created an app that puts a live closed-captioning system in the pocket of any person attending the theatre who may need it.
All users have to do is download the free app and log onto the theatre’s Wi-Fi network. GalaPro will then automatically sync with the show, and display the play’s lines, and lyrics, onto the phone. To avoid distracting other theatregoers, the words are displayed in red on a black background.
Its already been used once for a show and many people seated next to users did not even realise that it was on.
Before GalaPro, deaf customers could attend only select performances, and had to sit in a specific area near caption monitors. Now every seat and every show is available.
GalaPro has raised US$3 million in funding, and is currently working on audio description services for the blind and translation services for theatre-goers who don’t speak English.
Watch in Sign Language
- Updated version of Avaz app has plenty to offer, enables access to wider audience
February 21, 2019
- Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
February 17, 2019
- Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
February 14, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 19, 2019 "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Accessibility February 19, 2019 Kerala government launches projects to empower visually impaired people
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Headlines February 21, 2019 Court to Anil Ambani - Pay dues or go to jail
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
- Get-hooked February 21, 2019 Know more about the Race For 7 to mark International Rare Disease Day
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Get-hooked February 7, 2019