Shows on Broadway in New York now accessible to deaf people thanks to an app
February 6, 2018
One of the biggest tourist attractions in New York is Broadway. The shows and plays here are a must visit for anyone visiting this city. Now the shows here will soon be accessible to the deaf, thanks to a smartphone app.
GalaPro, an Israeli tech company, has created an app that puts a live closed-captioning system in the pocket of any person attending the theatre who may need it.
All users have to do is download the free app and log onto the theatre's Wi-Fi network. GalaPro will then automatically sync with the show, and display the play's lines, and lyrics, onto the phone. To avoid distracting other theatregoers, the words are displayed in red on a black background.
Its already been used once for a show and many people seated next to users did not even realise that it was on.
Before GalaPro, deaf customers could attend only select performances, and had to sit in a specific area near caption monitors. Now every seat and every show is available.
GalaPro has raised US$3 million in funding, and is currently working on audio description services for the blind and translation services for theatre-goers who don't speak English.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News