Shows on Broadway in New York now accessible to deaf people thanks to an app
February 6, 2018
One of the biggest tourist attractions in New York is Broadway. The shows and plays here are a must visit for anyone visiting this city. Now the shows here will soon be accessible to the deaf, thanks to a smartphone app.
GalaPro, an Israeli tech company, has created an app that puts a live closed-captioning system in the pocket of any person attending the theatre who may need it.
All users have to do is download the free app and log onto the theatre's Wi-Fi network. GalaPro will then automatically sync with the show, and display the play's lines, and lyrics, onto the phone. To avoid distracting other theatregoers, the words are displayed in red on a black background.
Its already been used once for a show and many people seated next to users did not even realise that it was on.
Before GalaPro, deaf customers could attend only select performances, and had to sit in a specific area near caption monitors. Now every seat and every show is available.
GalaPro has raised US$3 million in funding, and is currently working on audio description services for the blind and translation services for theatre-goers who don't speak English.
Watch in Sign Language
- New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
June 24, 2019
- #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
June 20, 2019
- #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
June 13, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 17, 2019 Miss & Mister Deaf Stars 2019
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Best friends Mary Vincy & Mary Jiya shares their success mantras
- Headlines June 24, 2019 India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
- Accessibility June 22, 2019 With no hearing test facility at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital, disabled students miss NEET counselling
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Parasports June 19, 2019 Tamil Nadu set to rock the National Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
- Parasports June 20, 2019 Sonakshi Sinha likely to play the part of Paralympian Deepa Malik
- Get-hooked June 20, 2019 Nandavanam centre is changing lives of disabled kids with a blend of tradition & compassion
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News