U.S. state launches visor cards to enable police & deaf drivers to communicate
The state of Wisconsin in the United States has launched a valuable resource to make interactions with police officers easier and safer for the deaf.
In 2017 policeman in Oklahoma City shot dead a deaf man who could not hear commands
The new communication visor card is free and available to anyone. It gives the police and the deaf drivers a tool to communicate clearly what the driver did wrong.
Its a visual card so it lets the police know that the driver is deaf. Because hearing loss is invisible, it is often to spot immediately.
Many situations between the police and the deaf have turned dangerous in the past.
After more than a year of feedback from the deaf community, the cards are ready to be mailed out. They include pictures to indicate a broken taillight, expired license plate tags and dangerous driving. The card should be placed on the forehead, allowing the driver to show the officer their hands as they retrieve it.
Watch in Sign Language
- Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
November 15, 2018
- Prayatna Counselling & Early Intervention Centre is on the journey of making a positive change
November 15, 2018
- First ever scientific study establishes the magical link between music & autism
November 14, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 8, 2018 PM Modi spends Diwali at Kedarnath, meets soldiers on India-China border
- Parasports November 15, 2018 Mumbai to play host to second wheelchair basketball camp in November
- Events November 8, 2018 South India Level Blind Volleyball Tournament 2018
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Inclusive trek near Bengaluru brings visually impaired & sighted people together
- Accessibility November 15, 2018 Lack of clarity on revised admission norms leaves disabled students & parents groping in the dark
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Cyclonic storm lashes coasts of Tamil Nadu, south Andhra
- Parasports November 11, 2018 Want to stay active? Check out these sports for disabled people
- Events November 12, 2018 Inclov Social Spaces Mumbai - New Year Celebration
- Headlines November 10, 2018 India & Taliban hold talks on non-official level in Moscow
- Get-hooked November 10, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Autism Spectrum Disorder
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018