This Kashmiri teen gives a voice to sportspersons who cannot hear
February 6, 2018
Arwa Imtiyaz Bhat is just 16 years old and this class 10 student from Srinagar in Kashmir is playing an important role. She is giving a sound to silence.
Every morning, Arwa sets out to help a group of badminton players prepare for a tournament. She is not a coach or a player but she knows sign language and is helping some of the 250 sportspersons registered with the J&K Sports Association for the Deaf.
Arwa often gives up classes in school to accompany teams from Jammu and Kashmir to tournaments across India, reassuring the families and talking to organisers.
She is not paid anything for this. Her biggest reward, she says, is when the team performs well like in December 2017 when the J&K team won four gold, three silver and two bronze medals in the National Games for the Deaf in Ranchi.
Arwa's mother cannot speak or hear, and her brother, who is a good badminton player, is also deaf and dumb. She says that from childhood she has seen them struggle in the face of discrimination, both outside and within the family. So she has decided to do anything she can to help others who are deaf.
But for Arwa, who dreams of becoming a doctor, and her family, all of this has come at a cost. She has been scolded by her school for missing classes and her father says that its time someone showed some concern for his daughter.
Watch in Sign Language
- #RareDiseases - Poor awareness & support among the challenges people with Sturge-Weber syndrome face in India
July 18, 2019
- Trolled for a disability, UPSC topper Ira Singhal highlights need for inclusive education
July 18, 2019
- Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility July 13, 2019 Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
- Headlines July 17, 2019 Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
- Events July 16, 2019 International Autism Conference
- Headlines July 17, 2019 Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
- Events July 18, 2019 RUN for Wheels Marathon
- Education July 15, 2019 Viewing the draft National Education Policy 2019 through the disability lens - Guest column by Shampa Sengupta
- Parasports July 18, 2019 Noted Paralympian Deepa Malik aims to set a record in sea swimming
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Rohit Sharma to lead India for West Indies series
- Parasports July 18, 2019 Dhoni is India’s pride & should stay - India's para cricketers root for the legend
- Education July 17, 2019 Kerala High Court upholds guidelines for therapy centres in the state
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News