Lack of wheelchair could block this disabled athlete's dream to compete in Asian Para Games
Gulfam Ahmed hopes to win a gold medal for India in the Asian Para Games this year. There is just one thing coming in the way of that dream - a racing wheelchair that costs Rs 1.5 lakh.This 27-year-old has now started a crowdfunding campaign hoping to fulfil that dream.
Winner of 23 gold medals in state & national events
Gulfam was left physically disabled when he got an attack of polio as a one month old. His family migrated to Delhi from Uttar Pradesh hoping he could get access to proper treatment. He was always fond of maintaining a good body and worked out from his teenage years. It was at the gym that he was introduced to sports for the disabled, says Gulfam. He went on to win a medal in the 2008 National Championship.
Because he works out regularly and is disciplined, Gulfam’s muscle strength and stamina in his hands is good and this led him to choose power lifting as a major category. He has won 23 medals in various state and national tournaments in the last 10 years.
Gulfam used to crawl to move everywhere before he had a major hip surgery in 2013. He started walking using his crutches within just three months.
Since then he has expanded the range of sports he excels at to include shot put and taekwondo, apart from power lifting. He is also fond of modelling, stand-up comedy and motivational speaking.
It was only in 2017 that he realised that he has the potential to compete in the wheelchair racing category. His dream is to win the gold for India.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Events February 12, 2019 Workshop on Advancing Your Interpreting Skills
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Understanding Rare Diseases
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News