Lack of wheelchair could block this disabled athlete's dream to compete in Asian Para Games
February 7, 2018
Gulfam Ahmed hopes to win a gold medal for India in the Asian Para Games this year. There is just one thing coming in the way of that dream - a racing wheelchair that costs Rs 1.5 lakh.This 27-year-old has now started a crowdfunding campaign hoping to fulfil that dream.
Winner of 23 gold medals in state & national events
Gulfam was left physically disabled when he got an attack of polio as a one month old. His family migrated to Delhi from Uttar Pradesh hoping he could get access to proper treatment. He was always fond of maintaining a good body and worked out from his teenage years. It was at the gym that he was introduced to sports for the disabled, says Gulfam. He went on to win a medal in the 2008 National Championship.
Because he works out regularly and is disciplined, Gulfam's muscle strength and stamina in his hands is good and this led him to choose power lifting as a major category. He has won 23 medals in various state and national tournaments in the last 10 years.
Gulfam used to crawl to move everywhere before he had a major hip surgery in 2013. He started walking using his crutches within just three months.
Since then he has expanded the range of sports he excels at to include shot put and taekwondo, apart from power lifting. He is also fond of modelling, stand-up comedy and motivational speaking.
It was only in 2017 that he realised that he has the potential to compete in the wheelchair racing category. His dream is to win the gold for India.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Ride
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Sustainable, eco-friendly vocational training for disabled adults, the Aarambh way
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 At this Chennai grocery shop, people with autism show their skills at customer service
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News