Lack of wheelchair could block this disabled athlete's dream to compete in Asian Para Games
February 7, 2018
Gulfam Ahmed hopes to win a gold medal for India in the Asian Para Games this year. There is just one thing coming in the way of that dream - a racing wheelchair that costs Rs 1.5 lakh.This 27-year-old has now started a crowdfunding campaign hoping to fulfil that dream.
Winner of 23 gold medals in state & national events
Gulfam was left physically disabled when he got an attack of polio as a one month old. His family migrated to Delhi from Uttar Pradesh hoping he could get access to proper treatment. He was always fond of maintaining a good body and worked out from his teenage years. It was at the gym that he was introduced to sports for the disabled, says Gulfam. He went on to win a medal in the 2008 National Championship.
Because he works out regularly and is disciplined, Gulfam's muscle strength and stamina in his hands is good and this led him to choose power lifting as a major category. He has won 23 medals in various state and national tournaments in the last 10 years.
Gulfam used to crawl to move everywhere before he had a major hip surgery in 2013. He started walking using his crutches within just three months.
Since then he has expanded the range of sports he excels at to include shot put and taekwondo, apart from power lifting. He is also fond of modelling, stand-up comedy and motivational speaking.
It was only in 2017 that he realised that he has the potential to compete in the wheelchair racing category. His dream is to win the gold for India.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News