India's 1st adaptive skiing trip for disabled promises to be epic in more ways than one!
Its being called the biggest news of 2018, and that may be no exaggeration.
Planet Abled has announced an adaptive skiing adventure for the blind, deaf and speech impaired, as well as people without disabilities in March this year. This is an India first and the trip is for six days from 12 to 17 March.
"We announced this just a few days ago and we already have close to 40 registrations", says Neha Arora, Founder of Planet Abled, which calls itself the worlds first accessible travel company to cater to all disabilities and do inclusive trips. "A maximum of 15 people will finally be chosen".
The idea was sparked off in Arora after a blind traveler casually mentioned that he would like to go on a skiing trip. She has spent close to a year extensively planning for this trip, traveling to Gulmarg in Kashmir to check the onsite arrangements. Doing the checks with her was also the expert who will be leading the group, an Indian national champion who has represented the country in international competitions.
The cost per head varies depending on the disability and includes travel to Srinagar, travel within Kashmir, hotel stay, meals, as well as rental for skiing gear. The cost doesn't include travel to Srinagar, includes Srinagar airport pick up & airport drop. There will be sign language interpreters available as well.
This is the first time that adaptive skiing is being attempted in India and Arora is excited about making it happen. The ski slopes in Gulmarg have become much sought after in India and this is the first time they are opening it up for a barrier free adventure.
"I am very excited about making this skiing trip happen for the first time and the prospect of how life-changing it can be". - Neha Arora, Founder, Planet Abled
The trip is open to children as well. Arora says that the younger the child, the better as they pick up skiing faster. Among those who have registered so far are a family with a child that is visually impaired and another family, who has a child with a hearing impairment. This trip is not open to people with mobility impairments, something Planet Abled hopes to change in the coming years.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Some activities for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Headlines November 18, 2018 Kerala shutdowns as Sabarimala open for ‘Mandala Kalam’
- Get-hooked November 16, 2018 Some tips to make learning fun for children with autism
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Unni Maxx talks about his vacation at the paradise of South Africa
- Accessibility November 15, 2018 Lack of clarity on revised admission norms leaves disabled students & parents groping in the dark
- Events November 12, 2018 Inclov Social Spaces Mumbai - New Year Celebration
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 First ever scientific study establishes the magical link between music & autism
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News