13-year-old blind judoka wins gold at national championships
February 9, 2018
13-year-old Santanu Mondal from Canning won the lone gold for West Bengal in the recently held national blind and para judo championships in Lucknow.
In total, West Bengal won 10 medals, including four silver and five bronze medals. All of them were won by students of the Ramakrishna Mission Blind Boys' Academy, Narendrapur.
Of the 15 judokas from West Bengal, 13 were from this school. An institute for deaf and speech impaired boys in Uluberia sent two students.
The meet was held in Lucknow from 1 to 5 February.
Mondal won gold in the sub-junior (under 40kg) category. His opponent in the final was a judoka from Delhi. Mondal was trailing at the start but he fought back. His father is a tailor and he started taking judo lessons at the institute over a year back. He is also a good swimmer and won three gold medals at the National Para Athletics Championship in Jaipur last April.
He says that judo has changed his life as he is no longer scared of village bullies.
There were over 550 participants in the tournament. Uttar Pradesh, which had more than 50 candidates, topped the table with 12 gold medals.
How is para judo played?
A para judo match starts with the referee's clap. Rivals hold each other throughout and receive varying degrees of assistance from coaches and referees according to the degree of their impairments.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
- Get-hooked June 26, 2019 Nationwide contest seeks to unearth and showcase talented blind cooks
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Driving change in attitudes towards disability in Jammu-Kashmir - My Take by Dildar Ahmad Shapoo
- Events June 23, 2019 Certificate Course on Down Syndrome
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Making a difference – Quick Tips for budding social entrepreneurs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News