13-year-old blind judoka wins gold at national championships
13-year-old Santanu Mondal from Canning won the lone gold for West Bengal in the recently held national blind and para judo championships in Lucknow.
In total, West Bengal won 10 medals, including four silver and five bronze medals. All of them were won by students of the Ramakrishna Mission Blind Boys' Academy, Narendrapur.
Of the 15 judokas from West Bengal, 13 were from this school. An institute for deaf and speech impaired boys in Uluberia sent two students.
The meet was held in Lucknow from 1 to 5 February.
Mondal won gold in the sub-junior (under 40kg) category. His opponent in the final was a judoka from Delhi. Mondal was trailing at the start but he fought back. His father is a tailor and he started taking judo lessons at the institute over a year back. He is also a good swimmer and won three gold medals at the National Para Athletics Championship in Jaipur last April.
He says that judo has changed his life as he is no longer scared of village bullies.
There were over 550 participants in the tournament. Uttar Pradesh, which had more than 50 candidates, topped the table with 12 gold medals.
How is para judo played?
A para judo match starts with the referee's clap. Rivals hold each other throughout and receive varying degrees of assistance from coaches and referees according to the degree of their impairments.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Infosys Foundation announces Rs 10 lakh to families of martyrs of Pulwama attack
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News