Sachin Tendulkar lends support to ongoing blind chess championship
Cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar has expressed his support to the ongoing National Chess Championship for the visually challenged, organised by the All India Chess Federation for the Blind.
Sachin, who plays chess too, expressed his support on Twitter.
"Chess lovers, join me in wishing all the participants of the AICFB's National Chess Championship for the Blind 2018. Best of Luck." - Sachin Tendulkar
He also sent his wishes to AICFB President Charudatta Jadhav, who is a blind chess champion and winner of the National Award for the Best Disabled Employee of the Year.
Jadhav has been at the forefront of many events for the blind, including the current tournament at the Andheri Sports Complex in Mumbai.
In response, Charudatta Jadhav thanked Sachin for his support.
"We have received good wishes from the God of Cricket Sachin Tendulkar for our National A Chess Championship for the Visually Challenged. We are really grateful to him for his support!"
14 blind players from across the country are participating in the prestigious event and the final winner will be crowned India's National Blind Chess Champion 2018.
The top players will form the Indian teams for the World Team Championships in July in Bulgaria and World Junior for the Blind to be held in Poland in August.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Headlines February 20, 2019 Army kills 3 JeM terrorists in Pulwama
- Get-hooked February 20, 2019 Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 63 government websites now accessible for disabled people, claims Centre. Not enough, says experts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Get-hooked February 14, 2019