Have a dream? Go for it - My Take by Gulfam Ahmed, winner of 23 medals in national, state-level events
An attack of polio in childhood left Gulfam Ahmed disabled in both his legs. But listen to this 27-year-old's life story so far, and you are left awestruck by how much he has packed in. Now Gulfam has his set sets on getting a racing wheelchair so he can go for gold in the Asian Para Games this year. In My Take, he tells us how he keeps himself going.
I had a very ordinary beginning, in a small town in a regular family. My father was a tailor in Bijnore in Uttar Pradesh and my parents were illiterate. There was very little awareness about polio in my family and I was infected as a child. My parents moved to Delhi seeking better treatment facilities for me.
Gulfam is also a stand up comedian, bodybuilder, model & motivational speaker
My parents were very unaware about the importance of education so I started going to school only when I was eight years old, that too at my insistence. But I had no idea where studies could take me in life. I was always interested in looking good and all I knew was that I wanted to do well and become something in life.
TV and Hindi films were a big influence, especially Salman Khan. Since my legs were disabled, I used to move around by crawling on my hands, As a result, I had a very well developed upper body and I joined a gym when I was in class 8. I realised that I could get very good results as my body structure was good.
"In Class 11, I signed up for a bodybuilding camp by Jugal Dhawan, who was an international-level powerlifter and a Dronacharya awardee. He told me about para powerlifting for the first time and I was very excited. This was where my future was. There was an event in Nagpur in para powerlifting and I packed my bag and sneaked out with Dhawan's team as my family was worried about sending me."
My name was sent for the national championship and I won a medal but my family was not interested. All they wanted to know was whether I would get some money. But I was very excited.
Won the title of Mr Wheelchair India 2015
I went on to win silver medals in 2010 and 2011 at the national level, but had to stop for 2-3 years because my father fell sick and stopped working. The responsibility of the family came on me.
I underwent a hip surgery in 2013 that changed my life. I was able to stand for the first time with the help of calipers. But I had to stop powerlifting as it put pressure on my legs. I switched to shot put and participated at the state level. In 2015, para taekwando was started in India for the first time and I took part in that too, and won medals at national levels.
Now I have my sights set on wheelchair racing. Wheelchair racing is a set category in many tournaments unlike taekwondo so I wanter to master this. In my ordinary wheelchair, my timing is 19 seconds faster than the world record at the Olympic level. But the wheelchair costs Rs 15 lakh, and I am hoping to raise the money through crowdsourcing. My dream is to win a gold medal for my country in the Asian Para Games.
How do I keep myself going? By moving the milestone further and further.
Watch in Sign Language
- Exciting cricket at 1st triangular blind cricket series for girls
December 16, 2018
- India roots for Arunima Sinha as she sets to scale Antarctica's highest peak
December 16, 2018
- Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
December 13, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Badminton players Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap are married
- Events December 9, 2018 Mumbai Memory Cafe
- Headlines December 16, 2018 13 miners in Meghalaya feared dead, search operations on
- Events December 13, 2018 6th India International Deaf film festival 2019
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 New study highlights importance of building motor skills in kids with autism
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Kedarnath movie banned in 7 Uttarakhand districts
- Events December 13, 2018 DRIVE FOR AUTISM - A TSD CAR RALLY
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Abuse at therapy centres in Kerala under scanner again, government promises redressal
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Top world celebs at Isha Ambani’s pre-wedding festivities
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports December 13, 2018
Parasports December 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018