Deaf children face challenges in education in India
Children in villages and remote areas of the country that are hearing impaired have very less chance of getting quality education.
The education of deaf children has not received enough importance in the country so far, and that has caused a major lack of infrastructure and support to the cause.
As per data from India's National Association of the Deaf, there are around 18 million people in India with hearing impairments and that is almost 1 percent of the Indian population.
The numbers could be more as many times disabilities go unreported and do not become part of the census.
The use of sign language is also very rare and mostly ignored. The times are changing and ISL- Indian sign language is slowly getting recognition.
As per experts, Indian education is mostly based on oral skills and that conflicts with the education for children who cannot speak and hear.
This has become a cultural reason that hampers the growth in education sector for hearing impaired children in the country.
However, a change in attitude and mentality is gradually becoming apparent and ISL is being used in various parts of the country in a more prominent manner.
Various originations are also promoting it as a means for spreading the light of education among deaf children.
Support from parents and teachers can help deaf children learn sign language and learn the skill of communication.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology December 5, 2018 Assistive technology makes life simpler for children with learning disabilities
- Employment December 6, 2018 Aarambh brings opportunities to disabled women, to train & to work
- Accessibility December 6, 2018 Kerala government reserves 4% jobs for disabled people in government-aided educational institutions
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 Stay healthy & fit in a wheelchair. Here's how
- Technology December 10, 2018 Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
- Headlines December 6, 2018 India vs Australia announce teams for Adelaide Test
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Get-hooked December 4, 2018 Smileys India bats for inclusion through art
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
- Accessibility December 4, 2018 Chennai's iconic Marina Beach turns accessible for two days
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News