This Kerala couple chose to say 'I Do' in sign language
This was a wedding where silence was truly golden.
When Bineesh Thomas and Hima got married, the couple took their wedding vows and followed the wedding rituals in the church completely in sign language.
The couple who are from Kottayam are speech and hearing impaired and both were particular that the ceremony take place in sign language so they could participate in the fullest.
From the wedding rituals and the vows to the holy mass, everything was done in sign language. This is not the first wedding done in sign language in their family. Bineesh's elder brother Anish is also hearing and speech impaired and he married his wife Jissa two years ago in the same way.
The church priest said he was only too happy to fulfil the wishes of the couple as they knew what was going on. He also felt that this was a step forward towards for people to be more accepting of differences.
Over the last three years this church has conducted at least four weddings in sign language.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Events February 12, 2019 World Women's Day
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Events February 12, 2019 Workshop on Advancing Your Interpreting Skills
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News