This Kerala couple chose to say 'I Do' in sign language
February 11, 2018
This was a wedding where silence was truly golden.
When Bineesh Thomas and Hima got married, the couple took their wedding vows and followed the wedding rituals in the church completely in sign language.
The couple who are from Kottayam are speech and hearing impaired and both were particular that the ceremony take place in sign language so they could participate in the fullest.
From the wedding rituals and the vows to the holy mass, everything was done in sign language. This is not the first wedding done in sign language in their family. Bineesh's elder brother Anish is also hearing and speech impaired and he married his wife Jissa two years ago in the same way.
The church priest said he was only too happy to fulfil the wishes of the couple as they knew what was going on. He also felt that this was a step forward towards for people to be more accepting of differences.
Over the last three years this church has conducted at least four weddings in sign language.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan out of World Cup due to injury
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Film by Diversity Dialogues hopes to trigger mindful conversations about workplace mental health
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Archana Palahalli believes in facing odds with a smile
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News