This Kerala couple chose to say 'I Do' in sign language
February 11, 2018
This was a wedding where silence was truly golden.
When Bineesh Thomas and Hima got married, the couple took their wedding vows and followed the wedding rituals in the church completely in sign language.
The couple who are from Kottayam are speech and hearing impaired and both were particular that the ceremony take place in sign language so they could participate in the fullest.
From the wedding rituals and the vows to the holy mass, everything was done in sign language. This is not the first wedding done in sign language in their family. Bineesh's elder brother Anish is also hearing and speech impaired and he married his wife Jissa two years ago in the same way.
The church priest said he was only too happy to fulfil the wishes of the couple as they knew what was going on. He also felt that this was a step forward towards for people to be more accepting of differences.
Over the last three years this church has conducted at least four weddings in sign language.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News