New tactile graphics design developed by IIT-Delhi
A combined three year research by IIT-Delhi and Indiana University in the US has resulted in the development of new design of tactile graphics.
Tactile graphics are raised two dimensional line drawings that are added to a surface to make it accessible for the people with visual impairments.
The latest research has resulted in tactile designs that are cost effective and more feasible for developing countries like India.
As per data from the World Health Organisation, there are 38 million visually impaired people in the world and almost 90 per cent of them live in the developing countries.
India has more than five million visually impaired people making it the largest population of blind people for any country in the world.
Development of cheap tactile technique will help make them more easily available for the blind people in various forms.
One example is use of tactile designs is in books for blind people.
Although the books are printed out in braille they lack more information such as graphical images.
Low-cost Tactile Graphics can be used to make the books more decretive, easier to understand and this will help improve the quality of education for people with visual impairments.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 20, 2018 It is never the end unless you believe it to be - My Take by Thasveer Muhammed, model, actor & motivational speaker
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Samsung to launch smartphone with four rear cameras in India this month
- Events November 15, 2018 Convention Against Sexual Assaults on Women with Disabilities
- Parasports November 20, 2018 Divyaang Myithri Sports Academy’s wheelchair cricket camp is a success
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Accessibility November 21, 2018 Accessible toilets remain a distant dream for India's disabled community
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 Inclusive ferry ride outing in Mumbai for visually impaired fun seekers
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 17, 2018