Chess legend Viswanathan Anand meets blind chess players at Mumbai championship
February 12, 2018
The legendary chess player Viswanathan Anand met with the 14 players competing at the National A Chess Championship for the visually challenged in Mumbai.
Anand, who is a five-time world champion, said he had been following the progress of each player and was happy and amazed to see how determined they were as they went about playing their best in the race for the World Championship.
The top five winners of the National A Championship are - Kishan Gangolli, Ashvin Makwana, Soundarya Pradhan, Aryan Joshi and Subhendu Kumar Patra. They will play for India at two upcoming world events later this year.
Anand shared some interesting tips on ways to defeat the opponent. The 48-year-old player said he had great respect for the blind players as they have an excellent memory and visual imagery of the game to play against sighted players.
He also hoped that blind chess would soon get the recognition it deserved.
Watch in Sign Language
- Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
August 23, 2019
- Disabled people push for need of accessible & disabled-friendly Indian Railways
August 23, 2019
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology August 22, 2019 #TechThursdays – Kibo XS, world’s 1st intelligent personalised scanning & reading companion
- Parasports August 16, 2019 Victorious India Divyang Cricket Team to land in Mumbai tomorrow
- Events August 21, 2019 Ageing with Grace Workshop for Seniors
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Parenting Corner- Motivating children
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Deepa Malik wins Khel Ratna
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Chandrayaan-2 enters Moon’s orbit
- Get-Hooked August 23, 2019 Wheelchair users in Kochi rally together under the banner Kochi Wheelchair Koottayma
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
- Headlines August 17, 2019 UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News