Scholar who wrote about the deaf in Holocaust & on film passes away
John S. Schuchman, a Gallaudet University administrator and scholar who wrote and edited books about deaf people during the Holocaust as well as the portrayal of deaf people on-screen, passed away at the age of 79 due to cancer.
Dr. Schuchman served 34 years at Gallaudet, which is a Washington-based university for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. As a hearing child of deaf parents, he grew up with American Sign Language as his medium of communication.
He wrote the well-known book "Hollywood Speaks:Deafness and the Film Entertainment Industry" where he drew attention to the film industry’s failure to recognise deaf people as having a normal community. The book traced deaf characters in motion pictures, and said they were shown as depressed or dependent and reinforced widely held stigmas.
He was also the writer and editor of “Deaf People in Hitler’s Europe", which explored Nazi persecution of deaf people under Hitler. Under Hitler people with disabilities were subject to sterilisation, imprisonment, and murder.
As dean at Gallaudet, he issued a minimum proficiency sign-language requirement for hearing Gallaudet faculty members who were less than fluent in American Sign Language.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education October 16, 2018 Some tips to make classrooms inclusive for children with cerebral palsy
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 Dating a person with autism? Here are some things to keep in mind
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 Supreme Court raps Haryana government for denying disabled students' MBBS admission
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Check out these reasons to not miss out on Dandiya this Navratri
- Parasports October 16, 2018 Aiming for gold in 2020 Paralympics, Asian Para Games gold medalist Ekta Bhyan tells Newz Hook
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Congress loses majority in Goa as 2 MLAs join BJP
- Get-hooked October 14, 2018 Visually impaired girls perfomed garba on song written by Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked October 18, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News