Double amputee shows great spirit, prepares to climb Mt Everest for 5th time
February 14, 2018
Xia Boyu, a 69-year-old double amputee from China, is getting ready to climb Mount Everest for the fifth time.
Xia was a soccer player before he joined the Chinese Mountaineering Team in 1974. During a mission, he both his legs to frostbite. But he was determined to keep pushing his physical limits.
Xia has taken part in China's National Games for the Disabled many times and won medals in javelin throwing, shot put, wheelchair basketball and table tennis.
Such heavy training derived him of adequate healing time for his legs and he developed lymph cancer in 1996. Xia recovered and went on to win two titles in the paralysed group at the IFSC Climbing World Championships Arco 2011 in Italy.
He had to abandon his last effort to climb Mt Everest in 2016 when he was just 94 meters away from the peak. But he is determined to try again and show that the disabled can also conquer new heights.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News