Double amputee shows great spirit, prepares to climb Mt Everest for 5th time
Xia Boyu, a 69-year-old double amputee from China, is getting ready to climb Mount Everest for the fifth time.
Xia was a soccer player before he joined the Chinese Mountaineering Team in 1974. During a mission, he both his legs to frostbite. But he was determined to keep pushing his physical limits.
Xia has taken part in China's National Games for the Disabled many times and won medals in javelin throwing, shot put, wheelchair basketball and table tennis.
Such heavy training derived him of adequate healing time for his legs and he developed lymph cancer in 1996. Xia recovered and went on to win two titles in the paralysed group at the IFSC Climbing World Championships Arco 2011 in Italy.
He had to abandon his last effort to climb Mt Everest in 2016 when he was just 94 meters away from the peak. But he is determined to try again and show that the disabled can also conquer new heights.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 13, 2018 6th India International Deaf film festival 2019
- Headlines December 8, 2018 PM Narendra Modi meets UP Chief Minister on Bulandshahr violence
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Praangan is meeting educational needs of children with disorders
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Kedarnath movie banned in 7 Uttarakhand districts
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Zomato delivery boy sacked after video goes viral
- Headlines December 8, 2018 Singer Mika Singh detained& released in Dubai over sexual harassment allegations
- Accessibility December 10, 2018 Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Deaf candidate Sudeep Shukla impresses in polls, shows the way to disabled political aspirants
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News