This deaf reporter covers Brazil's famous music parades by feeling the vibe
Aulio Nobrega works as a journalist for TV INES, a Brazilian channel aimed at the deaf, where the correspondents report in sign language. This week, he had a big challenge - covering the samba parade in Rio de Janeiro when hundreds of drummers march in to crowds that are cheering and singing.
But he reports on it by feeling the vibe, literally.
The entire drama of singing, firecrackers and drums passes in silence for Nobrega, yet somehow he needs to describe it to his equally deaf viewers. And that’s where the vibrations help.
Nobrega says the music does not have to reach his ears, it pounds through his entire body He says he feels it like a force on his skin and the feeling is very emotional.
Brazil has a long way to go in offering help to the deaf and most TV stations offer subtitles but not sign language. But that only works when people are educated and those who are not are pushed to the margins of society.
TV INES was started five years ago to reach this forgotten segment. Its videos reach around 10,000-13,000 individual views, with the numbers rising steadily.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Kashmir Valley shuts down after terror attack
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News