This deaf reporter covers Brazil's famous music parades by feeling the vibe
Aulio Nobrega works as a journalist for TV INES, a Brazilian channel aimed at the deaf, where the correspondents report in sign language. This week, he had a big challenge - covering the samba parade in Rio de Janeiro when hundreds of drummers march in to crowds that are cheering and singing.
But he reports on it by feeling the vibe, literally.
The entire drama of singing, firecrackers and drums passes in silence for Nobrega, yet somehow he needs to describe it to his equally deaf viewers. And that’s where the vibrations help.
Nobrega says the music does not have to reach his ears, it pounds through his entire body He says he feels it like a force on his skin and the feeling is very emotional.
Brazil has a long way to go in offering help to the deaf and most TV stations offer subtitles but not sign language. But that only works when people are educated and those who are not are pushed to the margins of society.
TV INES was started five years ago to reach this forgotten segment. Its videos reach around 10,000-13,000 individual views, with the numbers rising steadily.
Watch in Sign Language
- This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
December 18, 2018
- How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
December 18, 2018
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Come 16 December, Bengaluru will host a car rally for awareness on autism
- Parasports December 18, 2018 Para athletes see opportunities in Citi-International Paralympic Committee partnership
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Praangan is meeting educational needs of children with disorders
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Isha Ambani & Anand Piramal ties the knot at Ambani’s residence in Mumbai
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Why is Speech Therapy important? Some information
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some useful Information about Angelman Syndrome
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Employment December 15, 2018 Staff from schools for disabled kids protest against government apathy in Kerala
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Zomato delivery boy sacked after video goes viral
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018