This deaf reporter covers Brazil's famous music parades by feeling the vibe
February 15, 2018
Aulio Nobrega works as a journalist for TV INES, a Brazilian channel aimed at the deaf, where the correspondents report in sign language. This week, he had a big challenge - covering the samba parade in Rio de Janeiro when hundreds of drummers march in to crowds that are cheering and singing.
But he reports on it by feeling the vibe, literally.
The entire drama of singing, firecrackers and drums passes in silence for Nobrega, yet somehow he needs to describe it to his equally deaf viewers. And that's where the vibrations help.
Nobrega says the music does not have to reach his ears, it pounds through his entire body He says he feels it like a force on his skin and the feeling is very emotional.
Brazil has a long way to go in offering help to the deaf and most TV stations offer subtitles but not sign language. But that only works when people are educated and those who are not are pushed to the margins of society.
TV INES was started five years ago to reach this forgotten segment. Its videos reach around 10,000-13,000 individual views, with the numbers rising steadily.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Wheelchair no barrier for a fit & healthy lifestyle, here's why
- Events June 12, 2019 Messengers on Cycles 2019: Cyclothon event
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News