This deaf reporter covers Brazil's famous music parades by feeling the vibe
Aulio Nobrega works as a journalist for TV INES, a Brazilian channel aimed at the deaf, where the correspondents report in sign language. This week, he had a big challenge - covering the samba parade in Rio de Janeiro when hundreds of drummers march in to crowds that are cheering and singing.
But he reports on it by feeling the vibe, literally.
The entire drama of singing, firecrackers and drums passes in silence for Nobrega, yet somehow he needs to describe it to his equally deaf viewers. And that’s where the vibrations help.
Nobrega says the music does not have to reach his ears, it pounds through his entire body He says he feels it like a force on his skin and the feeling is very emotional.
Brazil has a long way to go in offering help to the deaf and most TV stations offer subtitles but not sign language. But that only works when people are educated and those who are not are pushed to the margins of society.
TV INES was started five years ago to reach this forgotten segment. Its videos reach around 10,000-13,000 individual views, with the numbers rising steadily.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 22, 2018 What matters is how we run the race - Guest Column by Vineet Saraiwala, visually impaired marathoner
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Amitabh Bachchan to repay loan worth ₹5.5 crore for 850 farmers
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 Staying fit with a disability is easy, here are some tips
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 An open letter to Goa Governor, Mridula Sinha - My Take by Monika Kshatriya
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Air quality in Delhi dips to very poor, emergency meeting held
- Headlines October 20, 2018 Sabrimalai temple priests continue to block women's entry into temple
- Employment October 19, 2018 An informative ‘Career Planning’ session for visually impaired people
- Headlines October 22, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer to get married on 15 November
- Education October 16, 2018 Some tips to make classrooms inclusive for children with cerebral palsy
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Kerala shutdowns after protests in Sabarimala
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked October 17, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News