This Close - A TV miniseries created, written, & starring the deaf
February 16, 2018
The team behind the six episode miniseries 'This Close' aims to show that the deaf community's life experiences are no different from anyone's else's.
The series tells the story of two best friends, who are deaf, and live and work in Los Angeles. The creators, Josh Feldman and Shoshannah Stern, are deaf themselves. They are working together to change the way the deaf community is represented in front of the camera.
The series stars one of Hollywood's most-famous deaf actress, Oscar winner Marlee Matlin. The non-hearing impaired co-stars learned some sign language to better communicate with their fellow actors.
The creators hope audiences will relate to the characters, regardless of whether they are deaf or not. They want audiences to see it not as show about gay men but a show that they can see themselves in and relate to.
Watch in Sign Language
- Differences in viewpoints must be respected. - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
August 26, 2019
- Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
August 26, 2019
- Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
August 25, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology August 23, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Low cost foot orthosis wins Aneesh Karma wins Universal Design Award 2019
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Chandrayaan-2 enters Moon’s orbit
- Headlines August 26, 2019 Arun Jaitley cremated with full state honours
- Events August 22, 2019 Ganesha Making Workshop
- Headlines August 25, 2019 Narendra Modi conferred with UAE’s highest civilian honour
- Accessibility August 26, 2019 Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
- Headlines August 22, 2019 BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
- Education August 21, 2019 Happy Hands School is enabling deaf children in rural Odisha to learn in sign language
- Get-Hooked August 25, 2019 South Korea’s Duckhee is 1st deaf tennis player to win men's professional tournament
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News